Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

how do i check up on a particular Surgeon in Westchester NY?

salty444ssalty444 Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have an appointment with a neuro and orthopedic spinal Surgeon combination in white plains NY. How can I check on the quality of work? They seem to have outstanding credentials but everything looks great on paper

• Since they are listed on this site, is it OK to ask for reviews or opinions on Dr. ABC and Dr. XYZ from white plains NY. They claim to have a special operating room designed specific for spine surgery in white plains hospital

Post edited to remove actual doctor names. Even if a doctor is registered with Spine-Health, we still do not allow naming a specific doctor

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health Administrator, 02/05/10
  • how did you find them? my surgeon was recommended by my ortho who i have know for 15 years. I trusted him to send me to the best. Of course the orthosurgeon he sent me to was supposed to be the best but he had no bedside manner :(

if you google his name you should find some sites like vital-something that will give you malpractice info.

• Hi Salty,

NYS has a website were you can check on the credentials for most licensed professionals:

It gives you their license #, schooling, malpractice cases (if any reported) and a bunch of other info.

You can also check the American Medical Assoc:

Google as Kris suggested, you can get additional CV (curriculum vitae) info and see what papers/studies they've written or contributed to.

Hope this helps.

• Hello, I'm scheduled for a microdiscetomy with the same doc. Their credentials and WP Hospital spine center seem very impressive. Did you find out any more information? What procedure are you having done?
  • Another thought on getting credentials

1 - my work has a 'health coach' phone number. They will recommend doctors based on about 5-8 factors.
    It was worth calling

2 - referral...some doctors will have referral list. Of course they will give you numbers to their success patients

3 - referral...I asked family/friends that are nurses/doctors and talked a lot about my situation. Turns out, many people have back issues and could tell me about the local doctors they considered and why they chose the ones they chose.

IT was good b/c one doctor I liked but wasn't 100% sold on b/c he seemed 'aggressive' in treatment which made me nervous for future. I had a current doctor but unfortunately the ones I had recommended by PCP and him were all out of network.

It took me a month of many visits to find a doctor I was comfortable with.
  • Every hospital that I've worked had designated rooms for spine surgery, and every other specialty as well. There is nothing special about that idea. The reason that is done is because rooms are stocked with specific supplies for specific procedures. It is really intended to help the operating room staff, so to have all the surgeons needs in that specific room. The surgeons just want any and every need met immediately, and that is how it is accomplished.

• Please pm me your phone number. ...I'd like to talk about your consultation. They want to fuse my lumbar one level