Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5S1 MicroD done

scmgurusscmguru Posts: 103
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Had my surgery this AM.. Everything went really well and my surgeon feels it went really well.

Numbness is gone..

I'm in a bit more pain than I thought I was going to be, but I'm spending the night in the hospital with a PCA.

Will update when i get home.

• I had a lot more serg site pain than I thought it wood be especially the burning pain but after 2 big morphine shots and a couple vicodin and a shot of something I do not no what it was the nurse could not believe I was still concuss( I did not go to sleep for 2 days after)
    An hour later I was up walking with no leg pain only a little at serg site (ok maybe a lot ) my back an leg felt so much better they could have smashed off one of my fingers I wood not have cared
    Jest take it easy really easy for the first couple weeks most of the times they flood in there with steroids witch makes it feel like a 100$ till it wears off after a few weeks good luck
  • Surgical pain catches many by surprise. I don't think doctors explain enough how much pain the surgery causes. I know after laminectomy I was in horrible pain and was very surprised because I didn't have the pain after neck fusion. He expained that lumbar is more painful because there are more muscles involved. Anyway do as told, surgery pain goes away with time, unlike the pain you've been dealing with. Make sure you don't overdue it when you feel better and end up like me heading back for another surery.
  • <:P <:P <:P <:P
    Glad the ops over and your now can recover.
    Keep us posted on how you're doing and make sure you have enough pain meds before you leave the hospital to take care of any pain you have while recuperating.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,

• Still in the hospital.. Site pain is awful and doesn't seem to improve by using my PCA.

Also, everytime push the pca button, my whole body gets itchy.

Anyone else here have dilaudid in their pca?

Woke up this am and tried to move and had unbelievably painful muscle cramps.

I got a soma about 45 min ago.. Hopefully it'll help.

• Do you have Dilaudid or Morphine? Dilaudid is supposedly much stronger than Morphine. Any opiate pain reliever will make you itchy... not sure about right away though.
  • It's very positive that the numbness is gone!
    I know the pain is there. I guess I never said anything about it because I have a pretty high tolerance for pain and my doctors explained how I'd feel.

I told them it felt like I had a 9 inch incision across my lower back and I felt as if I couldn't relax as if my upper back was all achy. It was as if I had stood in the cold shivering for 5 hours.

I am glad they are keeping you until you are feeling less pain. Trust me it will get better.

Remember...(i like to repeat things) that when you do feel better...do not let that fool you into bending, twisting, lifting of driving.

You have positive results already with reduced numbness! That's an excellent sign!
  • I just had a repeat discectomy on Jan 26th...it was a much differnt experience over my 1st time. 1st time I was on oral pain meds for one night and home the next day. This time I was on the Dilaudid PCA for 4 days (in the hospital for 6 due to the weather)and they wouldn't let me have any muscle relaxers until they discontinued the PCA. I was itchy as well and wasn't even aware of it until the nurse from the pain management team pointed out that I was scratching all over while I talked to her! (I was kind of out of it!). Anyways, they had some IV Benadryl ordered and it helps a lot!

Good luck and I hope you find some relief soon!
  • I'm home.. Thank goodness. 1st night was pretty bad, but things are settling down a bit. Will have a full report in the next few days.

Thanks for everyone support here!
  • You'll feel better, just by being at home. You're through the roughest days...now remember to walk and rest...those are the two activities for now~

And remember to limit the amount of time you spend sitting...this is important for lumbar surgery.

Hope you start feeling a lot better very soon.

• Yay..glad you are home. Getting home is part of feeling better because you get to be surrounded by your stuff and people and life!

Keep us posted. Take it easy. Yes, rest, walk, rest, walk. Limit sitting. No bending, twisting, or lifting.

Talk to you in a few days...
  • Been home a couple of days now.. Area around incision hurts like heck.. Also I've got what feels like a cramp/knot on the lowest part of my back on the left side where it meets the gleut.

I started walking today, my left leg hurts but it feels different than it did before for what it's worth.

I'm on a regimen of 1 soma and 1-2 Norco every 6 hr and 20mg oxycontin every 12hr..

I started getting bouts of hiccups.. Not sure if it's the meds.

I asked my dr if I should use heat or ice on my back and he said whichever feels better.

Looks like I'm in wait and see mode...
  • Hey there,
    Glad to hear you are walking. Sorry the pain is still there but you are still early in recovery.

I just got home from revision surgery and I guess my nasuea distracted me from the pain. I thimk I deal better with pain than I do nausea.

I had hiccups when I came out of surgery this time. They are annoying> On the ice or heat...limit to 10min itervals.

How is the walking going?
  • Hiccups are gone.. seems to be the result of combining Oxycontin and lots of Norco (per my prescription)

Walking is decent.. did it yesterday, boy was I STIFF.. my legs felt like they would move about 1/3 the range they did before..

Hope to get out this afternoon and do some more walking.

Posted an update (1wk) here