Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How to abbreviate a 2 level 360 fusion + Q about leg pain

jenfabjjenfab Posts: 56
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi. I am now 3 weeks today from having a 2 level 360 fusion at L4-5 & L5-S1. Am still having pain, which I read is normal..but the last few days I have had a painful sciatic throbbing in BOTH my legs to my feet. Its different than the sciatic pain before surgery (which was intensely knife-like) This pain still hurts alot, but is a deep burning throb.

Has anyone else experienced this? Will it go away? Its also like electrical buzzing too.

I am going stir crazy too. I knew I would be in pain and have to walk. I hope I am walking enough tho.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

PS My post op with my neuro and the dr who did the tummy part of the surgery, will be on Feb 18th.

• It is not uncommon to have a variety of nerve pains after such a big surgery as you had. I would assume it is more the norm, actually. If it continues you might want to ask the surgeon for a drug to treat nerve pain, such as Lyrica or Neurontin.

You are right that walking is the best exercise after surgery. It is better to walk a short distance frequently (couple times a day, anyway) than going a long distance once. Walking helps to get freshly oxygenated blood to the surgical site, and it also helps to stretch out the spinal nerves, which helps to keep scar tissue from attaching. It is especially important during the first two months as that is when most scar tissues forms.

Hopefully you are through the worst of it. You still have a long way to complete recovery, but you are well on your way. Stay positive. Follow your doctors' instructions and walk and rest, walk and rest.

• Thanks so much for the encouraging words. It really scares me to have any "New/different" pains after surgery.
    I also still have a lump or area of swelling at the top of my incison...is this normal? Or should i call my surgeon?
    Thanks so much Gwennie
  • Be sure to take your temperature at least once per day to be sure you are not running a fever over...it depends on your doctor what the high is...100 or 101 is usually the number, I think.

I guess I would be on the safe side and call your surgeon about the lump. Infection is becoming so much more common that you really don't want to mess around.

I would just say you had a 2 level 360...or you might want to say a 2-level lumbar 360.

I know it is really disappointing to have any pain after going through all the trauma of fusion...but it happens to just about everyone...and, be forewarned, it can take a long time to resolve. Fusion is really a very violent surgery, even though the surgeons will not tell you this. It is a carpentry project performed by highly skilled carpenter-surgeons. They drill, they saw, they hammer in cages, etc...and it takes a lot of strength to wedge some of this hardware in between the vertebrae...so the body really goes through a fair amount of trauma.

The nerves are so sensitive to begin with, and I would imagine, with a 360, at least one nerve had to be moved out of the way....They do not like this and can react somewhat violently.

After fusion, there is a lot of swelling with the soft tissues, muscles, etc. and that is irritating to the nerves as well. So, it just takes a long time for all this to go away. Try using a heating pad or icing for pain. Were you given Lyrica or neurontin? I think I was put on Lyrica right away after surgery...can't quite remember as I've been on and off it several times. It helps many people with nerve pain. Hopefully you'll get lucky and the pain will reside sooner rather than later.

Just keep walking...take a smaller stride than normal if you're in pain, and don't worry about speed or distance. The important thing is to stretch out those spinal nerves several times each day, if you can handle it. It's worth some additional pain as you really want to minimize scar tissue as much as possible. (It is impossible to avoid entirely...but you can minimize it attaching to a nerve by walking.)

Good luck and keep up the good work. Remember to drink lots of water. That will help flush out some of the build up from the soft tissues and also help to promote healing.