Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New here but not to pain...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

My name is Niki. I am 35 years old and have been dealing with back pain since I was 17. Until recently,I would have "bouts" of back pain every couple months, but they would generally resolve with PT, rest, muscle relaxants, and basic pain releivers (Tylenol, Motrin). However, in the last couple years I have found that these "bouts" are lasting longer and more intense. Currently, over the past 7-8 months, the "bout" is just not getting better. I have tried several different avenues for pain relief and intervention. Since about November 2009, I have had severe back pain, leg pain, numbness, tingling, weakness, etc., all of which is not being relieved by any form of interventions (PT, epidural injections, pain medications starting with the basic Tylenol and Motrin and now up to 2 Percocet every 6 hours, muscle relaxants, and on and on).

Finally, my PCP and orthopedic doctors have given up and referred me to neurosurgery. My diagnosis: Degenerative disk disease L5-S1. I had my second MRI in less than a year yesterday and then went to see the neurosurgeon. Although there has been no change to the amount of degeneration, they have reccommended surgery. He is reccommending disk replacement surgery with a Anterior approach ProDisc-L Total Disc Replacement, with a 50/50 of it helping. My goal this entire time was to just get enough pain relief in the hope that i could get some exercise and lose weight (have gained 40 pounds since my ACDF at C3-4, in the hopes that this would greatly reduce the amount of pain I am currently in. I am terrified about even the idea of yet another surgery.

I would appreciate any advice or information regarding this surgery any of you may have to offer. Of course, I have the basic questions...How did the surgery go, how was your recovery, how long did it take you to recover, did it resolve your symptoms, etc.

Thank you in advance!

• I wanted to welcome you to the board even though I cannot comment on disc replacement surgery. Hopefully someone else will see your post and will be able to respond.

One of the members just had a 3 level disc replacement surgery in Germany. She felt immediately relief from her leg pain and is thrilled with the results. Her screen name is Kendrak....

and here is thread from someone else who had ADR recently:

My advice would be to make sure the surgeon you are going to has a lot of experience with ADR. You don't want to go to someone who has only recently been trained in the procedure.

Good luck.