Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Numbness/Tingling in Left Leg/Foot and Hand?????

Renee23RRenee23 Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, still kind of new to this forum so this may sound a bit strange but.......

Anybody out there ever experience the numbness and tingling in a leg and hand both left after a spinal fusion? I had L4 done 12/17/09??? Starting to freak me out. The left side of my body is extremely cold too.....My leg especially calf and under the arch of my foot ache horribly and I get little twinges (best I can describe) in my calf and foot...

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

P.S I don't have my first follow-up with my neuro until 2/18. He has been on vacation since 12/24......

• Hi there,

What did you have done in 09? Fusion or discectomy or something else?

I wouldn't get too worried. If you are...maybe there's an OrthoSpine doctor that might be able to see you while your neuro is out. At least get the ball rolling if s/he thinks an MRI is needed.

Is the numbess continual or intermittent?
    Does icing your back or taking ibuprofin (advil, motrin) help?

If you have nerve compression it might explain the 'cold' sensation. If you think you can wait until 2/18...just go back to basics. Do not sit for long periods. Stop bending, twisting, lifting heavy things. Lots of small walks and lying flat. I found when I couldn't get an appointment, the 'basics' kept me in a manageable state until I could get to a doctor.

I wish I had more information.
  • Hi, Had a lami/disectomy l4 june 09, alif l4 dec 09. Tsking advil q4, 100mg neurotin q8, robaxin 750mg (muscle relaxer)q3, percocet prn.
    PA at neuro's office said use heat not ice and offered vicoden??? Did not accept, I can't tolerate Vicoden but I am using a heating pad. All I do is walk, sit a little, stand a while......get back in bed and rest...oh, I do find that standing in a jetted bathtub with hot water up to my knees helpful for a bit.........I guess I just wait.......

p.s the neurotin was prescribed by a pain mgmt doc prior to my lami. I started taking them again on my own thinking if its nerve related it may help. Started them 1/24
  • Even though your neuro is out of town you should be able to speak to a nurse at the office. They might even have a neuro on call while yours is gone. Please make that call, the hand issue doesn't sound right. The leg and foot issues will take time. Take care.

Faith M