Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

There is hope :) no surgery

allykataallykat Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Good News
When I started coming to this forum I was in immense pain. Pain I thought I would never escape. I felt very consumed with anxiety and helplessness, I was searching for some reassuring news. At the time I promised myself if ever I felt better I would return to this forum and share the good news.

So after 11 months of pain, disability, stress and time off from work I am now back at work and feeling at least 80% better. My pain was typically 10/10 24 hours a day and at best a 6. I was not getting any sleep and I was nearly always in tears. I was told that I needed surgery and that I should get it urgently. That was 4 months ago. I decided not to get surgery as I believed my body had a better chance of healing concentrating on the mind body link rather then heading under the knife.

All of this is over!!! I feel so great. I did not have surgery, I have continued with physio twice a week and I am now starting pilates to build my core strength.

There is hope for healing with out surgery. Believe in your body. Good Luck all!!!!

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I love to hear thous kind of stories. There aren't enough of them. good for you!
    Good luck,Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • I'm very happy for you. And it gives me some hope also. I've been disabled for 2 years and hoping I will get better. What was your diagnosis again? It's great to hear such positive news. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hi allykat,
    Indeed you made a wise decision that worked and still appears to be working for you. Like you I was told I needed surgery ASAP due to nerve impingement
    that was affecting my left hand. I was given the option to wait but was also advised that waiting I was at risk for permanent paralysis and/or incontinence. That could result from something as an innocent slip and fall. I live in an area that has winter sometimes 6 months of the year and we have lots of ice. My severe OA was and still is causing my vertabrae to collapse causing stenosis, impingement, instability, and loss of balance at times. Being self employed and a self admitted workaholic surgery was a no brainer for me. Two spinal surgeries later, I am one of the lucky ones. My spine is a mess, it will get worse, I will have more surgery, and I'm still working.
    Life is a gamble allykat! Looks like we are both winners! ;-)
    Best of luck to you,
  • Hi allykat,

Glad that all worked out for you. What was your diagnoses with all of this? Did you have cord involvement? We have so many success stories on both sides surgery and non-surgery. Just most don't come back to tell how well they are doing. Did you spend time in the hospital with the pain levels of a 10? Anyway I am glad it all worked out for you. Keep up the good work and hopefully you will never need surgery.
  • I am so pleased that this worked for you and it takes some effort and resilience to overcome and issues that you thought may need initial surgery, it is sometime too easy to thing that the invasive process is always the answer and although I do acknowledge that for some this is the right thing to do, not for all. It is nice to hear some positive news.

Take care.

• My diagnosis was two ruptured discs at L4-L5 L5-S1. The most debilitating part mentally and physically was that I could not stand on my feet for more then 30sec-1 min at a time. This meant no showers, no walking and no work ( I am a chef) Now I am working 4 days a week and can walk for 30 minutes with out needing to stop.

I do not doubt that there is an important place for surgery and I am hopeful that those who have successful surgeries will come back and share their stories, as it is so vital to have hope when you are in that place.

I am now off all pain medication and continiuing with swimming and pilates.

Always have hope!!
  • what a great update and committment to your fellow friends here.

It sounds as if your patience won out and the disc dried up enough and you did all the right things to get back to a pain free life.

Congratulations and cheers to many many more years of success!