Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone live on the East coast USA??

immyaliimmyali Posts: 399
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Water Cooler
I just saw the news that the East coast has had a blizzard and seeing i've never been in one and would like to hear about it. What's it like? and please don't say white and cold.

• I live in NJ, but was fortunate to have missed all of the snow, the Southern part of the state got it pretty bad I think.

I've lived through many blizzards, living in North NJ all my life. They are awful. Basically you need to stay inside if you can and just wait it out. Very cold, windy, sometimes no visibility, sideways snow/ice. I hate winter.
  • I live in Maryland and we got hit hard by the blizzard. The weather people kept trying to down play the amount of snow we would get until Thursday night and the storm started Friday morning with light snow. At that point, the weather people kept increasing amounts the entire time. They are so unreliable.

Really light snow started Friday AM. By early afternoon, huge flakes were coming down really fast. My neighbor and I worked together to get enough essential supplies together in the event we lost electricity due to winds. I made chili in my crockpot and made sure that food would not be a problem.

This was a huge concern for me. I have two kids and my neighbor has a 2 1/2 year old and 4 month old. My husband and I have a generator so I bought two 5 gallon gas cans and she filled them. The stores were like madhouses. Bread, milk, batteries, water, and toilet paper is pretty much gone at every store right now. I even heard that a liquor store sold out as people were stocking up on alcohol as well.

I have a friend about 45 minutes south of me who lost electricity Friday night around 10 and still hasn't gotten it back. She had no generator or alternate source of heat. I was about to start calling any group I could when I found out another person was able to get her, her two girls, and MIL to her house (the other person has heat). Over 200,000 people were without electricity; many still are. When the power went out, it caused a fire.

The snow just kept coming. The neighbor and my hubby shoveled and shoveled and shoveled some more. Hubby is still shoveling and we live in a town home development so there's not a lot to shovel. I think we ended up with around 3 feet of snow. I stopped worrying about the electricity going out when the wind finally eased up Saturday night.

Every road, including the major interstates, were unsafe to travel on. Hospitals were pleading for people with 4x4's to help get staff in. The school system we're in has already closed for Monday. I'll be surprised if they can open on Tuesday. Lots of back roads that buses must travel and the plow trucks just can't get to them yet.

Hubby will work from home on Monday as well. To add to the excitement, there's another storm coming in Tuesday-Wednesday. They say it won't be nearly as much as the last one but we've had way more than normal. The low pressure that brings in the storms causes my pain to soar through the roof.
  • That actually sounds scary! I'm a bit of a fan of extreme weather, would love to chase tornados one day (we don't get them in Australia).
    But that actually sounds quite scary, what happens if your electricity goes out and you don't have heat? Is there an emergency plan that these people get taken somewhere?
    How do they get help when the roads are snowed in?