Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
ok i go for my pre op wed. what do they do and what info do i need to take with me, this may sound silly but im so nervous about all this. and liveing alone and no family for backup is a little scary. saw on here some get home care nurses that come by, is this true for all or just some i have medicare so wondering what all they cover? any info would be greatly appreciated.

• The Pre-op depends on who is doing it. Some people go to the hospital where they will be having surgery. Both my surgeons send me to my internist who conducts the exam based on what the surgeon requests.

My pre-ops have been like a mini complete physical, again covering the things the surgeon requests...Basically they want blood work, to make sure you are healthy enough to withstand surgery and there are no hidden surprises, and, to rule out infection. They want an EKG to rule out heart problems. They want a urine specimen.

Be sure you take a list of medications and supplements, including vitamins, that you take on a regular basis.

I'm worried about you being alone after surgery. Is there anyone you could stay with for the first week or two after surgery? Sometimes they send patients to an intermediate recovery site after surgery if deemed appropriate, but I'm not sure how that is arranged. Why don't you call your surgeon's nurse and talk to her about this? And, ask about the recliner, too!!

• I got it within 2 weeks of surgery and it saved my sanity. I slept in it as soon as i got it for about 3-4 weeks, and now have to sleep in it again. Mine has the arm on the side, so I dont have to use my legs much except to push myself up high enough to keep the back down in the recline position. That can be painful.
    Keep us posted, we are here for you pre and post, and keep those questions flowing.
    God bless and keep You... at peace with your decisions,
  • Some insurances don't pay for home-care after fusion, but Medicare does. I had a nurse come visit me for about 6 weeks following the surgery (but the length can be longer or shorter depending on your needs) and a PT came once a week. Maybe they order you some other help too, or send you to a rehab for a week or two until you feel stronger. Just make sure to tell your surgeon that you live alone and you need support after your discharge from the hospital, as he is the only one who can get authorization from Medicare, then it won't cost you a penny, you won't even see the bill. One advantage of being that certain age. Is it great or what?

Wishing you well,

• thanks all for the info much help
  • I was looking at medicare online and you just put your state in and it looks like they have homecare. You can talk to homecare at the hospital or call yourself to be assessed for your needs. Meals on Wheels may help you also or make ahead some small dinners for yourself and freeze them. Keep everything you need at waist height and get a grabber. I wish you all the best for your surgery and recovery. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Not much that I can add to the above posts. I have been through a 2 level PLIF and it is a rough recovery. I am also worried that you may not have help once you get home.

However, if it is only you at home, at least you won't have to worry about any kids' needs: rest when you need to, work out your own "schedule" that works best for you.

I think those of us that have young kids (mine are 5 & 8) tend to do too much too soon, whether we realize it or not. I seem to go into "parent mode" first, then say to myself "this is not a good idea".

One of the best things I did pre-surgery was make a freezer full of soups, chili, sauce with meatballs, etc. If I wasn't up to cooking then all Hubby (or me) had to do was take something out of the freezer.

The list of "post-op must haves" has a lot of helpful suggestions. Definitely get a grabber/picker-upper, I think most of us spiney/neckies have one.

Good luck, I know I went off a bit from your original post, but hope I gave you at least a bit of helpful info.

Lisa B