Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2nd post op update

SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all - thank you for all your wonderful wishes after my post a few days ago.

He did a posteriolateral. The main incision (about 5 inches) is parallel to the spine mid-line (since I have prior lumbar surgery along the spinal mid-line it is now easier for him to get past that scar tissue by going posteriolaterally). Then he also did lateral (about 3 inches) with an additional small horizontal incision near where the appendix would be.

With the lateral surgery you do end up with referred nerve pain and mine is in the front of my right leg. But my sciatic back of the leg pain is gone. Neurontin and valium has helped the leg pain a lot

Doing lateral shuts down the intestines as they take a bit of a hit. I didn't know much about this so when they allowed me liquid on Thursday i drank way too much apple juice to try to get sugar/carbs back in. Well there was miscommunication and I should have only had ice chips for 48 hours after surgery until they could confirm, via stethoscope, that my bowels were moving. So I became extremely abdominally distended and in agony from that, plus the surgical pain, Thu and Friday. Fri they skipped morning PT as I was too distended in the abdomen to get the brace on. So I was back to ice chips only with dextrose via IV. I started solid foods last night (basic stuff) and then again today.

If all works out I may be discharged tomorrow (Monday) but it depends on the cardiac telemetry I'm on and cultures they ran on my drainage and incision sites (2 days of fever as well that are better now but they've had me on IV antibiotics the whole tie. The drain came out yesterday and I was put on oral meds as well which made me happy.

Today I turned a corner and finally feel a bit more normal. Sleeping 1.5 hours at a time. Incision pain ( back, side, and mini-front) is tough. Especially when the big hard LSO brace is on when up, but overall the pain is better.

Tired so time to gt back to closing my eyes. Hubby brought in the netbook today as I wanted to give you an update.

I have to tell everyone that hubby was wonderful. He was here from 8am to 10pm Wed-Fri and was my aide, doing stuff he never imagined he'd have to do (lets just say he now can put on medical gloves). Yesterday he was here 10-6 and today he got here at noon but now I'm ready to be aone and give hia break so he can go watch teh game and relax. He also had the lady who does some of our floor/bathoom clearing come in today to get the house cleaned as he knows I like to return to "order and cleanliness" when I am on vacation or in the hospital. Hospital here (in Phoenix) has a "partner in caring" program where if you have a family member or a friend doing lots of care daily then the person gets a temporary badge to wear, get 20 percent discount in the cafeteria, etc. At least we both have a good sense of humor when he was in the bathroom with me and I said "this wasn't in the vows now was it" and we both laughed.

I'll try to post again in a few days. Sorry for typos but I can't imagine trying to fix 'em all.

SpineAZ (Karin)

2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
advertisement

Comments

• I've been so thinking of you. I hope you get better soon and can tolerate liquids soon. I'm glad to hear you're having less pain though. I hope you heal completely and get home when you're able. Take care and saying a prayer for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • that you have turned a corner on your jounrey. Hope things continue to improve and that the road will be less bumpy from here on.

Relax and heal.
  • I was thinking of you today. Glad to hear you are doing allright. Bless your Husband, he sounds like a gem and he will be taking great care of you, what an essential part of the healing process.

I know the brace is a big nuisance, but its there for a reason (I know you know this already), that is what I keep telling myself everytime I put mine on.

Best of luck to you in your recovery journey, keep us posted, Lisa B
  • Karin-you wrote alot for being still "new"--I hope when you read this you are more comfortable--The Coke they let me have when I finally had noise in my abdomen was probably the best Coke I have ever had!Front and back is tough,just move carefully,and gently.We are here when you need us-Jeannie
  • Yeah! Woop Woop! Glad to hear from you.

Ouch. I am so hurting for you. Hang in there. I know you would love to go home but if you need to stay in the hospital an extra day...

Glad to hear from you. Sending extra energy.

Frog

• Hi Karin - Sorry i haven't been in touch, I lost my internet connection for a few days. I have been thinking about you a lot lately and I am so glad to hear that you are doing as well as can be expected.

Your hubby is awesome for staying by your side and helping you out. Good to know these things about the hospital as I may be having surgery there as well with the same Doc. I will email you later with the details from my appointment.

I hope that you do get to go home tomorrow where you can get better rest than you can at the hospital.

I will chat with you soon. Sending gentle hugs your way! {{{{{{{hugs}}}}} >:D<
  • Glad you are able to post so soon and to write so much!! Hope your fever doesn't result in anything. Lynette
    Lynette
  • I can't imagine what you have gone through. Hope that you are doing better. Also, I wanted to thank you for all the wonderful support and advice you have given me...

Take care...prayers coming your way!!

Lisa
  • Karin-we are thinking of you-and we are always here

• today and hoping that you are moving along in your recovery. The surgery is over now, all you need to do is rest and recover. Things will improve, maybe not daily, but you are moving along on the way to 'recovered'.

Take care and stay comfortable.
  • Hey hope all is well with you glad you came through this ok take care of yourself and glad things are getting better thank god for husbands.
  • Hugs and good vibes Karin :)
  • Thought of you, I'm dealing with the stomach ditstention too, its not fun.:( sounds like your doing good.

Take care ;)
  • Glad that it is over for you now. It is good that your husband is so hands on - that will help loads!
    I hope that you continue to feel better hour by hour.
    Helen
  • Glad you got your notebook so you could post :)

Keep us posted as you get released and do TAKE IT SUPER SUPER EASY when you get home!

Glad to hear that things are looking better- celebrate the good days because there are a lot of not-so-good days to still get through.

Soft Hugs Karin,

Amy
  • Terrific to hear from you so soon. Your husband is a real gem !! Hope your recovery goes well and looking forward to hearing how you're going when you're able to post again.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
advertisement