Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical Spinal Stenosis Question

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Spinal Stenosis
I am new to this message board. I recently had an MRI and now know the name of my condition to which I have had for at least the last 12 years.

I have seen two surgeons over the last 3 mths and one was quite to say surgery to replace the discs as I have 6 hernidated disc L3-4, L4-5, and L5-6, but my 2nd opinion suggested that I could wait a bit and just montior my symptoms.

Over the last few weeks I have begun to now notice that my right hand goes quite cold, I know that the pinched nevere issues with Cervical Stenosis and the herniated discs are partly to blame here, but in the past it was more a numb feeling not a cold feeling. The cold is very uncomfortable.

Both sugeons feel that surgery would not necessarily solve my pain issues so I am trying to put it off as long as possible given my age 51.

Anyone else have similar systems that can offer some comparisson?

I am not taking any meds for pain at this time other than OTC.

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    I also had spinal stenosis at the cervical region. My stenosis was severe and surgery was a must. I can tell you this I still have the pain in my hands and arms even following surgery. This I am told may never go away. It has now been 9 months since surgery and no improvement so at this point I dont think I ever will.
  • First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around there is lots of information here. You might want to check out the video section as there is a video dealing with cervical spinal stenosis. As far as the cold hand it can get very uncomfortable. When I have issues getting my hand warm I use the Heat wraps that you can get from walgreens that are made for hands. They do help get the temperature back up and relieve some of the pain associated with it. Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If I can be of any further help don't hesitate to pm me. Take care.
  • Welcome to Spine Health. Out of curiosity, have you been evaluated for TOS (Thoracic Outlet Syndrome). This is something that can also cause arm and hand pain as well as interfere with circulation to the arms and hands.

Welcome aboard,

• No I have not been told I have TOS. I guess yet another thing to ask about. The MRI I had found a nodule on my Thyroid so right now I am having a biospy on Tuesday for that. Next time I am at the doc I will bring this up to her. Thanks.
  • Hope all goes well with the biospy on the thyroid let us know once you know something. My mom had a similar thing and they elected to remove her thyroid as it caused some serious issues with her calcium levels and osteoarthritis. Hopefully you won't have to go that route and everything will be fine. But I will say after the removal she did just fine on the meds for the thyroid. I am glad your getting that addressed and let us know how it all works out. Take care.
  • I am stuck at home once again following another trip or fall or end result of pain in my lower back. The doctors tell me I have spinal stenosis and the only relief i get is from those epideral injections once every 5 months.

The question I have is when these shots stop working and I need surgery is the laminectomy the best approach? And do they put the bone back on where they remove it to do clean the spinal cord? The video shows that they just leave it off and that won't work for me.

• With a laminectomy the bone that is removed, is left off. Generally a laminectomy is done to "open things up".

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hi tyresank and welcome to Spine Health,
    I have both cervical & lumbar spine issues as you do. Both my left hand and left foot feel cold and do get uncomfortable. Both my surgeries were done in my late 40's as waiting longer wasn't an option for me.

Like "C" said Jeff, a laminectomy involves removing bone from usually the back side of the vertebrae to allow the cord to expand more in the spinal canal and relieve impingement. I had that procedure done from L4 thru L6
    with much success 4 years ago.