Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back from ns apt

salty444ssalty444 Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Neuro recommended physical therapy. ..I have 2 bulging and 1 herniated disc all in lumbar.....has anyone had luck with pt?

• does he want to try that instead of surgery?
  • I personally did not benefit from PT but I know some do have great success from it. In my case, I had to go through all of the conservative treatments which does include PT before we came to the conclusion that surgery was my only option remaining other than "just live with it". If I were you I would go ahead with PT as insurance will want to know that you have tried all conservative treatments before they will approve surgery. Good luck to you!
  • I agree with Pammie-you have to play the game with the insurance co.-try everything and work toward surgery(if that ends up an option for you,and you choose to do that)
  • most insurances want to see that you have exhausted all conservative treatments without success or limited success before approving surgery.
    Good luck and keep us posted,
    God bless and keep You,
  • Our insurance is excellent and does not require referral. I've been through esi and will try pt
  • I have had some luck with PT in the past. I have been able to strengthen muscles in my core which has helped reduce the pain. I am in PT for a fourth time and it is not working - however I would definitely recommend it to others to try.

As everyone else has said, insurance does want to see that you've tried all conservative methods. I just switched to a PPO and do not have as many hoops to jump through but my surgeon told me that they will still want me to try PT.

Good luck! I really hope it works for you.

• Perhaps your doctor feels that your spine problems are not sufficiently severe to require surgery. The idea with PT is to strengthen the surrounding muscle and soft tissue to better support the spine with the goal of lessening the pain.

Do you have leg pain or is it mostly in the back?
  • PT for my Ulnar transposition went great. Neck in the past (an maybe soon too - though trying to stay positive) have done nothing for me. My issues were on the root or the cord, might have made the difference? Before my disk material was on the nerves, Chiro worked great for me, after that, it just got worse. I hope it helps you. :-)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I have had back and leg pain on and off for about 7 years. I'll try anything. Made pt apt for Thursday
    I've had 3 other doctors tell me I need surgery. For weeks I've been stressed about this appointment just to have him tell me to try pt.....any Dr could have said that.
  • I hope they have warm pool therapy at your PT. I'm waiting fr the warmer weather to get out and the Government PT/OT and Social work are seeing me on Friday and maybe will help with some funding for me to go. I've tried acupuncture at the physio and it is relaxing and does it after some excercising. I hope it helps build your muscles up and relieve the pain some. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN