Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MRI report of T spine

rfei57rrfei57 Posts: 83
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I have a lot of pain in this area

This is my MRI report
A very minimal conave deformity of the inderior endplate of T7 which ia chronic and benign. There are disc degenerative changes noted at T7-T8 where there is loss of disc space height and disc desiccation observed. Disc degenerative changes anteriorly at T8-T9 with marrow endplate changes are notedas well.A posterior desiccated disc extrusion centrally is noted at T7-T8 with mild dural sac compression and no direct cord impingement. a small left paracentral extrusion is present at T10-T11 without cord impingement. At T11-T12 a right paracentral extrusion is noted. This desiccated extrusion extend slightly above the disc space measuring 2 to 3 mm in size with mild right dural sac compression and mild anterior right cord flattening without canal stenosis

• are you seeing a surgeon right now for your problems?If not you should at least see your pm to talk to him/her about your mri. There are definite problems there.Are you taking anything to help manage your pain? if not then maybe you want to talk to your pm about some kind of pain management.
  • I have seen two pm dr and have been on DILAUDID and soma for lower back and neck that is as bad as my
    t-spine just now finding out about the t-spine I was in a weack 2006 and have had pain in my t-spine the drs all say that things not happen to that part of back but van vs semi in back in. The pain dr and neuro doc I have now did the mri they did think they would find anything, I have appt the Feb 25 with the neuro doc
  • I was in an accident 2008 and was told the same thing. I have constant pain and tight muscles in my thoracic spine.My doctor is saying the same thing.I should give her this web site and have her start reading the posts on here and then have her tell me that nothing happens to that part of your back during an accident.I really hope that you get some help for you spine,i can really feel for your problems.Let us know how you make out at the doctors.
  • I think they hesitate to investigate the t-spine area because unless there is significant trama they won't operate. It is so difficult for them to get in there. I think they tend to not want to identify a problem that they know they won't touch.

Sounds crazy but that's my theory. I was lucky that a radiologist saw my problem at the very edge of his study. It took three more doctors before I found one willing to look at the right area.
  • I thank that not too much is know about that part of the you have to have a doc that can do the T-spine
  • My doctor told me that the neck/upper spine and the lower back are usually the areas that people suffer with the most. This is because those vertebraes are actualy hinges and move this way and that.

The T-Spine (thoracic area) is basically a cage; it is there to protect all our vital organs. As such, it does not move like the upper/lower spine does.

Because of that, usually (not always, but usually) something has to happen to the T-Spine before you start having problems in that area - for instance an accident or something like that. Another thing that will cause degeneration or arthritis in that area is poor posture.

It's good to hear that you have an appointment soon. What I would do, if I were in your shoes, is to write down any/all questions or concerns you may have at this point in time and discuss these with your doctor on the 25th.

What kind of problems is this presenting for you? Do you have pain or limitation from it?

I've got posterior T2-3 disc bulge. I don't really notice it much. I'm "guessing" it's either because my neck and low back pain is so bad that I don't notice it, or the pain meds I take for my neck and back are sufficient to cover any pain I may experience from that particular bulge... But then again, I do not think it is anything more than that - a bulge. It's not really pressing a nerve or anything. Sorry - I'm just thinking out loud here (if writing/typing could be considered "out loud"... ha ha)

At any rate, good luck with your upcoming doctor visit. I hope you are able to get some good answers to your questions at that time!

Keep us posted?

• That was my problem too my neck and low bad is in very bad shape so until they give me some more shots in my back that helped a little I always thank it is my low back making my upper back hurt
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    For the longest time, many doctors felt it was so difficult to have thoracic problems and if you did they wouldnt be that painful. Much of that was centered around the fact that the Thoracic disc's are basically attached to your ribs and make up your rib cage. So the strength there should prevent problems.

Well, that is far from the truth nowadays. Just look in the Thoracic are in these forums and you will see pages and pages of people dealing with thoracic problems.

It seems that many people have thoracic problems as a result of some trauma.

I've been dealing with thoracic disc problems for many years now. Mine were basically a result of the previous lumbar and cervical disc problems and surgeries.

Thoracic surgery is not a simple procedure. Many doctors have not even attempted them. There has been a lot of progress in making these surgeries somewhat easier.

In the past, what was involved, was opening up your chest, cracking your breastbone, deflating a lung , move it aside to get to the T-disc. And there were no guarantees at how successful that would be.

There are ways to manage and control thoracic disc problems, but that is something you need to discuss in detail with your doctors

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com