Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Leg Pain at night

DolcesmomDDolcesmom Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Chronic Pain
My first time writing so I apologize ahead time because this will be long!
I have had chronic pain now for about 5 years and sometimes it gets so DEPRESSING. I had decompression surgery in April 2008 L3-L5 and if you look at a subsequent MRI it looks like it was successful. I still have pain however! My pain has morphed over the years but currently the situation is:
Pain is worse at night and it constantly wakes me up. It seems like it's positional. By the time it wakes me my left leg and sometimes my right as well are throbbing at around a 7. I take tramadol but it doesn't really do anything for the pain other than make me care about it slightly less. I can usually shift around and fall back asleep (I also take trazedone to help with sleep and lyrica which I don't think does anything but make me gain weight!) until the pain wakes me again. If I don't wake up the pain enters whatever dream I'm having which is pretty weird. I also often get referred pain in my torso and upper left quadrant of my chest. I can get it to go considerably down just be getting up and walking around, but a girl's gotta sleep! Driving in the car isn't fun either but I have a short commute so it's not a big deal. We all learn how to live with certain levels of pain don't we?

Let me just say that I function quite well during the day. I'm a high school teacher so I do a lot of running around which is good for me. Most people don't know I take pain meds every night and have chronic pain. I miss work rarely because of it but it does affect my social life. Since the pain meds take a long time to kick in I'm usually medicated by 6:30 which means I'm worthless for the night.
I've tried MANY different things including 7 injections, none of which ever worked. Also tried acupuncture, chiropractic, swim therapy, tens unit, tons of physical therapy,etc. etc. I've been to many doctors and had many tests and they all seem to throw their hands up in the air and don't know what to do with me. I go to a pain clinic now and they want me to try a Spinal Cord Stimulator. I'm hesitant to do it basically because I'd really like to find out WHY I have pain instead of just finding ways to treat it. The SCS seems like a last resort that I'll do but again I want to know why I have pain. I do have really good insurance so I'll keep looking for a doctor that will listen but that gets old too. Sometimes I have lower back flair ups but it's usually just nerve pain in the legs.
I'm 53 years old, love to travel and want to keep up with my 45 year old husband! I'm too young for this!
Any advice or support would be helpful. Thanks for your patience reading this long rant and thanks for letting me vent. My husband is very sympathetic but the truth is if you've never experience chronic pain people really can't relate and know what you're going through.
Thanks for your support!
By the way, Dolce is my beautiful darn near perfect 13 year old border collie.

• I'm sorry you're having leg pian at night. I take Cymbalta which helps the leg pain. I hope you can find something to ease your legs even to put them up during the day when you dont have the pain to stave it off at night.I hope you find some pain relief soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I am sorry about the pain.But you do have my prayers. Hoping you will find out what cause your pain. We are here for you.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    And welcome to S.H. It seems as though we all are effected by or pain at night. I'd sure like to know why! It's 4:30 here in the west. I've been up 3 times since going to bed!
    But I like the fact that rather than just being satisfied with treating the pain. I was the same. after traditional MRI didn't show the problem I researched and found a "stand-up MRI" That showed my lower spine under it's natural compression made by the Fonar Co. I also got flex and extension and dye. And discovered the problem.
    You may want to give that a try. It costs a little more than the traditional MRI but you may be able to negotiate the difference with your insurance co.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Thank you Jim - I appreciate your advice on the standing MRI. I will definitely look into it. What kind of pain do you have at night? What did they find when you did the standing MRI? I have good insurance so I most likely just need to find a doctor to order it.
    take good care,
  • Hi,

It is really hard to deal with chronic pain attacks specially in night, so it is no doubt very tough to deal with such pain, I do have such pain but I am not using any meds but yes I am doing yoga for it and lets see how it work out
This discussion has been closed.