Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Restless leg syndrome

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
Does anybody else out there with lumbar spine problems and leg pain suffer from RLS? I have restless legs that torture me.I have to tighten my calf muscles so tight they become sore. Can't sleep, currently take 2mg. Requip.

• I had restless legs one time and it is torture!! I was not able to sleep at all for it.
    I found out my blood pressure meds was causing it. Changed the med and all was well again. No more restless leg!!
    If you take blood pressure meds you might try changing them and see if that is what is causing it. Just a thought I thought I would throw out.
    After changing my med in three days my resstless leg was gone for good!!
    Best of luck to you.
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    is an aftermath of Spinal Lumbar surgery combined with some nerve damage.
    I have RLS for about the past 9 years now.
    I had it in total control using REQUIP. But, after 5 years of using REQUIP, I started to get a negative reaction (rashes, itches, etc).
    Now, I try to keep it under control drinking Quinine.
    It helps.
    My best defense against RLS is not sleeping in a bed.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Is that what's in Tonic?

I actually found an article to see if they made quinine pills and it seems they do or used to. Interesting as I would not have known that could help. This board is great for information like this.

I can see it is similar to what's found in Tonic. I guess patient should work with doctor b/c the article I read said it can cause irregular heart beats.

But sounds like it does help based on why they described the RLS happens.

Thanks...interesting post and good info!
  • cpgdna59 said:
    Does anybody else out there with lumbar spine problems and leg pain suffer from RLS? I have restless legs that torture me.I have to tighten my calf muscles so tight they become sore. Can't sleep, currently take 2mg. Requip.
    I'm experiencing something like that. I don't have the symptoms when I lay down. I have it when I'm sitting for a prolonged period of time..about 30min. I've noticed that the pain is starting sooner now. My back starts to feel uncomfortable. I get pain in my hips, my thighs, my knees and my right foot swells more than my left. When it happens I try to bear it but then I have to get up and walk around for a few minutes. I had a spinal fusion L5/S1 posterior and anterior with lamectomy. I'm going in for a fusion revision for psuedo Arthrosis in April 2010. I hope the surgery corrects the problem.
  • How do I know if I have restless leg syndrome. what are the symtoms. is this pain different from the pain we get after a fusion surgery
  • I get this sometimes when I can't fall asleep. I can feel it coming on if I've been awake for a few hours. Usually I can stop it - I tense all my muscles for a minute and then relax. Whatever I can do to relax my muscles helps.
    discectomy in June 2010 - success! No sciatic pain, just some remaining numbness in foot. And I get charlie horses a lot.
  • Ive had rls ever since my first back surgery, a lami and discectomy, then in oct. 09, had a l4-s1 ant/post lumbar fusion, Im taking lyrica twice a day, plus some other's and nothings helping. They happen all the time. Im supposed to go see a physiatrist next month, and hopefully he can get them under control. They can be pretty violent sometimes.
  • I have cramps in my feet and ankles when I first go to bed.

I have tried to locate quinine pills but it seems that they are not avaliable in the US.

Some people have a bad reaction to them.

I find that drinking TONIC WATER that contains Quinine helps a little.

• magnesium citrate is best for rsl,

magnesium and calcium work together to relax muscles.
    Live to Pray