Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in New Member Introductions
I recently had back surgery, Nov. 2009. The procedure was a fusion at L5/S1, anterior, using a cage only. One xray in Dec. showed a slight movement of cage; this weeks xray showed the cage had moved more. Also, I am having pain in the buttocks. It seems to get worse as day goes on. There is a possibility that I will have to have another surgery.
I am new to this forum and hope to have some feedback.

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find tons of spine info on this site as well as blog and videos. All things spiney. And he members of the forum are knowledgeable, caring and supportive.

I'm sorry for your situation and that you might need another surgery. You've come to the right place if you'd like people who can relate to your situation. Our forums have over 11,000 members and you'll be able to talk with others who've experienced what you've gone through and are still dealing with,

Again, welcome to Spine-Health. Have a look around - there are a lot of places to visit and I'm sure you'll make some friends and find some interesting stories.

Take care,
  • Thanks for the welcome, Cath.
    I was hoping for more replies to my 1st post. Guess I am getting nervous about the possibility of another surgery.
  • Sorry you are having such trouble.
    I had anterior fusion L5/S1 August last year, I had the pain in the right hip/buttocks area which was really quite intense for a couple of months, but it did go away eventually. My doctor had no idea as to what was causing it.
    Mind you my hardware looked fine post op, I haven't had any images taken since then.
    Can't really say if our pains were the same.
    What has your doctor told you? Has he/she said you need surgery or is that from what you've read?
    Take care
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i certainly do hope you do not have to face another surgery. i do hope this one works for you. i wish you the best of luck. :D be sure and follow the doctor's orders to the tee!!! good luck!! :D Jenny :)
  • Hi Kylie,
    Thanks for your encouragement. The dr. requested that I have a CT scan, which I had last Fri. He and the vascular surgeon are recommending another surgery because of cage movement. Tomorrow I have an appointment with the dr. to discuss. This surgery would be posterior. Needless to say, I'm quite anxious. The thought of a 2nd surgery in such a short time---??!! Can't find the words!!
  • having to have another surgery, let us know how you go with the doctor.
    There are a lot of people on the back surgery forum that have had what you are going through ie. 2nd surgery due to hardware probs, so if you post there and ask them what it was like for them i'm sure you'll get lots of help.
    Everyone here is very supportive.
    Keep up informed on how your going and vent when you need to.
  • I had my appt. with the dr. on 2/16; after a long discussion, I decided to hold off on another surgery.
    It is in his opinion that the cage will not move
    anymore. So I am going with that and continue my
    exercises. Go back in a month for xray and dr. visit,
    so I will report then.
  • It's always preferred to avoid surgery if possible, so I'm glad you had that option.
    Let us know how you go.