Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Home after 2 level posterior fusion 3 Feb

ScottiegalSScottiegal Posts: 106
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well I was in hospital an extra day, but I'm finally home. The surgery itself went well, but the epidural wasn't placed properly so after 2 bolus injections in the recovery room they gave me a morphine pump. Still kept the epidural though as the local anaesthetic they fed through did have some pain relieving effects. Thursday night I spike a fever and after lots of tests the surgeon decided that it was most likely a blood clot in the muscle that was breaking down and I wouldn't need antibiotics. Friday they had to take the epidural down as it was leaking and the vein carrying my PCA blew. Fortunately I had another drip up for fluids so they were just able to swap it over. They also got me up - oh boy that was not funny. Sunday they took out the catheter and the PCA and the fun started with pain relief. They finally got it right with a combination of paracetomol, codeine and tramadol and sent me home today with paracetemol and codeine!! I've roughed it out today, but may be on the phone to my doctor first thing in the morning.

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    Welcome home. It's always nice to get home. It sounds like you had your fair share of problems in the hospital. Remember try to walk short distances 3 times a day. Or you kind of freeze up. And because of that and your comfort. It's so important to get your meds. right. Don't waste any time calling them and having them get those meds, right for you. What is right for the majority. Is what they like to send you home with. If that's' not working for you. get on the phone right away!
    good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • hi scottiegal, if the pain does not improve please do get on the phone with your doctor. I had surgery on 2/5 and on the late evening of 2/6 at home hubby had to call my doc about the pain getting out of control. How is getting around? Are you getting much sleep? thoughts and prayers for you hon
  • Hi Scottie-I agree with my fellow spineys-don't be a hero about pain relief-moving around does help with the stiffness-you are brand new "on the other side",so you probably won't be doing much,just take it easy!Let us know how you are progressing!Jeannie

• Sounds like you have had a rough ride. It is so good to hear from you. I hope that you have a good night tonight and manage to get some sleep.
    I would certainly ask for stronger medication if you need it. People advise to set an alarm to wake you so your pain doesn't get ahead of the medication.

Did you just go home today?

Thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Take care and rest and walk, rest and walk.
  • Spoke to my GP and got Tramadol added back to the mix and am doing much better pain wise. Now I just feel a bit fluffy headed - you can't have it all! My incision is really bugging me today - I can't bear to have anything touching it. A big problem when I have to get up because of the brace. Still with the pain under control I'm a lot happier overall
  • Scottie,that is great news!Iknow what you mean about anything touching the incision-just wear baggy pants,caftans,knit shifts-anything that moves with you and isn't binding----get lots of rest! Jeannie