Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Had my Pre-Op

chileroxcchilerox Posts: 69
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Well, I was supposed to go for my pre-op yesterday morning, but it was rainy and miserable, which led to my hip hurting so badly that I couldn't drive. So I had to call and reschedule it for this morning.

I figured I'd let y'all know what they told me about how my procedure will go, since everyone's is different.

First off, I got a script for antibiotics to start taking the day of the trial. I can't remember what they are, but they're something I haven't taken before.

I'm going to go in and be put under, as I expected, and then they are going to put the leads in etc. Once they think they have them in the right places they'll wake me up and ask if they're right, and once they are they'll knock me back out. I was told that my mom should definitely be in recovery with me, because I probably won't remember anything my rep says.

My SCS is going to be a Medtronic.

The one thing that was kind of funny was how adamant the gal was about DO NOT TAKE A SHOWER DURING YOUR TRIAL!!! She's scared to death that I'm going to not listen and do it anyway and get meningitis. I told her I have had brain surgery before, so I know what the risks are. Fortunately that calmed her down a lot. She also said that almost everyone that they do a trial on manages to pull their leads out on a doorknob or table or something. One guy actually pulled his out on the bumper of his car. I can't imagine how much that would have to hurt.

I ended up having to go to the store and get all the stuff she said I'll (potentially)need before/during/after - antibacterial soap and gauze (in case I'm a bleeder) and tape and bandaids and such. I needed to go anyway because I had forgotten to bring some of the stuff that one needs when they are away from home for almost 3 weeks. She told me that if I am a bleeder and bleed through by some chance, my mom is supposed to put more gauze on top and tape it down and call them. They want my bandages to be exactly the same at post-op as they were when they released me. I forgot to get a thermometer though... as I'm required to take my temp every day and make sure it doesn't spike.

I think that covers just about all of it. My surgery is at 3:45 in the afternoon, and I can't eat for 6 hours prior. I get to have water up til 2 hours prior, though! Yay! (plz note sarcasm)

The guy I've just started seeing has already told me that he will come see me as much as he can, and a few of my old friends from where I used to live have given me their phone numbers and asked for updates. One of them wants me to come down and see him at some point, so we'll have to see if that happens. My tattoo artist really wants to be kept in the loop, which is kind of nice.

Surgery in T minus 7...


  • Chile,

    That sounds like a major production is about to happen. My trial was performed in my Doc's clinic. The procedure really isn't that bad. I'm concerned that you're going to limit yourself during the trial and not be able to determine if it's really going to be able to help. I took the day off the first day of my trial and was totally bonkers by the end of the day. The following day, I resumed my normal activities. The reason for the no shower is because the pulse generator is taped to your back.

    Good luck with your trial.

  • Yeah, it does sound like a major production, doesn't it?

    I kind of get the feeling that they aren't used to people as young as me going through this.

    As far as taking it too easy during the trial, I wish I were going to have the chance. lol

    I have the trial done the 16th.

    The 17th and 18th we have to go back to the pain clinic (half an hour away, through Austin traffic) for appointments with my PA and my psych.

    At some point I'm going to have to go to San Marcos to see my friend Gabe, which is an hour drive on a good day.

    The 21st we're driving to Houston, 3 hours away, and then going out with friends when we get there. We drive back the next day, and go out with friends here that night.

    I know that Alex said he'll come see me as much as he can, but I have a feeling that it will be more like 50-50 him coming to see me and me going to see him, half an hour the other direction from the pain clinic. And oddly enough, I'm not going to take my mom with me to see my boyfriend, so I'm going to have to drive myself.

    Plus I've told my mom that I'm going to take her out to eat at my favorite Mexican place, and I'll be surprised if we don't run around a lot more than that, as she's never been to Austin or San Marcos.

    So... I'm not too worried about taking it too easy. lol

    PS - the 'you can't take a shower or you will get meningitis and DIE' is exactly what they told me during the pre-op. *sigh* overreacting much?
  • Make sure you remember to turn the stimulator off while driving. You are going to be very positional during the trial.

  • I sure didn't feel like doing much of anything the first 2 days (mine was cervical) and was instructed to "lay low" those first 48 hours, anyway. Day 3 I was much better. I had so much tape on my back that nothing would have moved, anyway, I'm pretty sure. We did no bandage changes at all and the battery was in a velcroed belt that was around my waist. My trial was over on Day 4.
    Seems like I remember another person on this board who talked about how much they tried to do during the trial and it sounded like overdoing to me. I hope you can be wise about that part and do enough, but not too much.
    Good luck.
  • I remember the thread you're talking about. Fortunately getting together with Alex and my friends consists of a sitting around doing nothing except talking and maybe eating, so that will be good.

    I'm the kind who has always had to be forced to do things after surgery (I wouldn't let them open the window blinds for 3 days after my brain surgery) so having things that I'll have to do is good, because otherwise I have a feeling I won't want to be doing much. Hopefully I can hit the sweet spot between too much and not enough.
Sign In or Register to comment.