Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 monthe post-op report. L4-L5 PLIF

rmickhail2rrmickhail2 Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So one month since my L4-L5 PLIF. Here is my report:

Okay so far I am doing pretty good. I have completely cut out all those manmade pain meds and just use my Medicinal Marihuana.

I am driving now and doing fine. I have been going to Wal-Mart most everyday and going for 2 laps around the store. Doctor says the more walking I do the better. So as long as there is no pain I am walking. Although I notice when I go for these walks at night when I want to sleep I am getting muscle tightness in my upper back and my legs. And don't feel like waking up just to smoke a little hooch.

My incision site is healing well. There are no scabs left on it. We were going to start putting scare ointment on it but why? It’s on my back and mostly covered by a shirt.

I am getting dressed and putting on my own shoes and socks, using the restroom by myself. Unless I lie to my fiancée and say I can't shower myself. Then she has to do it. :-). I have a hard time lying to her but I think she understands.

All in all I am feeling real good. But I know to be very careful in everything I have been doing. I am just anxious to stay away from my house. I am still on strict orders not to bend, lift or twist and have been following those orders pretty good.

Anyway I just wanted to get this out there. I am doing good and for those of you who are considering this type of procedure, just keep in mind there is good that can come from these procedures. For example all I feel anymore since my surgery is surgery pain. But all in all I am so happy as of now that I did this and got it done in the middle of the winter.

I hope and wish that all of my friends on this site are doing well and have no pain. I know that’s a lot to ask for but you guys have really been there for me in some trying times of my life. So I wish you all the best and a no pain day at least today.
Okay have to get going to Wal-Mart. Need to get that walk in today. If there is anybody that is in the same boat as I was or am in now and need to ask me anything please feel free to ask me and I will do my best to reply with what I know. Talk to you all later.

Take care and feel better,

• Hi Rick,

I had a similar type of surgery about 15 years ago. I was born with spinal stenosis. What you are describing is pretty similar to my post-op experience as well. In my case, I had a lot of nerve damage that took a LONG time to heal...about 12-18 months but at least I didn't have the sharp, burning pain anymore. I did have the unfortunate luck of experiencing back pain again about 1-2 years after my surgery...a lot of soreness. I found out this is quite common for a lot of back pain sufferers. I would suggest using this time to really fill up on some good nutrition. Drink LOTS of water and eat lots of Omega-3 rich foods. This may help speed up natural healing. When your doc gives the ok, you will definitely want to work on strengthening your leg muscles and upper back area especially. In my experience, I have found this to indirectly strengthen my lower back immensely and provide a lot of support for it. Good luck.
  • I am having L4-5 Fusion anterior/posterior with bone graph 2/26 so it's great to hear that you are doing well! How deconditioned/weak were you before your surgery? I am incredibly weak,especially my right leg and I have difficulty walking. My surgeon refers to it as the siatic nerve "catches" on the jagged edges of the facets. It is excrushiating!

Thank for your willingness to answer questions. I seem to have so many!
  • We've talked a lot during our TLIF recovery, but I just want to tell you how happy I am that you're recovering so well. Just don't do too much (like we all have) and lay yourself up for a couple of days.

Keep up the good work. You're an inspiration to many members that are "looking forward" to having TLIF surgery.

Take care, my friend. Glad to hear the good news.