Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

losing faith and patients

salty444ssalty444 Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My wife took me to the Er last night since my back and leg pain were unbareable. Top it off with pissing my pants and dropping number 2 on the floor as I was getting into shower.....they gave me another MRI, prednisone, percocet and say to see my Dr in morning....

Well my Dr is in surgery. I should have stayed

• Did the events happen in the order that you described above? In other words, did the bathroom problems occur after going to the emergency room, or is that why you made the trip to the ER?

Do you have any assurance that the surgeon will be calling you back today? With all the problems you've been posting about on the board, and with what sounds like undiagnosed issues, I would not ignore the bladder and bowel problems. Your surgeon needs to be made aware that this is happening and he should be responding. If not, and if you have not already told the people at the ER about this, I would suggest returning there. It may be nothing, but this is one time when you don't want to wait weeks to find that out. The alternative is too unpleasant.

I'm enclosing a link to some information about cauda equina syndrome. Anytime there is involvement with the lower lumbar nerves, we all need to know the signs and symptoms and consequences of CES:

It really sounds like something is causing nerve compression from those lower lumbar discs...perhaps that herniation at L4-5 that is pressing on the thecal sac, and who knows what is going on at L5-S1???

You need to keep pursuing answers. And please get CES ruled in or out. Don't let too much time go by without getting some answers!!!

• You know life would be a lot better if these Dr. could live in our shoes for a week. And yes if i was you I would have stayed.

hoping you to be pain free

• Yes it happened before going to er
    I was told by his office nurse he would meet me at er. I was given another MRI which contraditcs my other 2. It says central disc protrusion. L5 s1 when my previous MRI said that level was transitional. It did not mention anything about findings in MRI performed a month ago...

Dr never called me.... I was told at Vassar hospital that nothing surgically could be done

I have appointment at 12 tomorrow with Surgeon and I'm not leaving without a treatment plan. My back and leg hurts so badly no way am igoing to pt
  • Good -- well good that you have an appointment...and what you were told at Vassar hospital may be their opinion -- but, you will be able to find a surgeon that is used to doing more complicated cases if yours is not.

I'm really glad you've made an appointment and will be seen soon. Please read up on CES so you can discuss it with the doctor. Do not let him brush aside your concerns and tell you it is nothing to worry about. You may have to be firm in getting him to pursue this, but it is often a reason for emergency surgery...so, just in case, you might want to clear your calendar for the rest of the week...JUST In Case ~
  • What is CES. .... I just want this back pain to go away. 20 mg of percocet didn't even scratch surface
  • Cauda equina syndrome --

"When a herniated disc pinches or compresses the cauda equina roots, it can cause severe back pain and a loss of motor control known as cauda equina syndrome. If these symptoms are present, emergency help should be sought immediately."

taken from Spine-Health:

• The er Dr said my new MRI did notshow evidence of that
  • I'm with Gwennie on this.
    If your surgeon is not seeing anything, then it's time to find a new surgeon.

Loss of motor function is considered an emergency from what the doctors told me (at 3 different hospitals). I'm surprised the ER released you without further tests but then again, I know the ER's job is to get you 'mobile' to leave so you can visit your own surgeon to discuss testing and next steps.

I haven't read all your posts but this one would worry me. I am glad you have an appointment with your surgeon.

In the meantime, can you contact your insurance, healthcoach (if offered thru your insurance), or primary care to see if they have other suggestions for Neuro surgeons?
  • The good news is it happened once and not again

• I have been told by every doctor that I have seen, that if I get any bowel or bladder control problems, it is an emergency and I must see a doctor immediately and that I will need an emergency surgery to deal with it, in order to stop it becomming permanent.

Hope that you manage to see your doctor soon Salty, and that everything is ok.
  • I am going tomorrow at 12:15 and also setup a second opinion for next Thursday. Trust me I'm not taking this lightly and I'm not leaving his office without options for treatment. I'm in so much pain that pt is not ontop of my list
  • Just wishing you a feel better. Hope all goes as you plan tomorrow. Good luck.

• this happened to me also! I was horrified to say the very least! (still am) My surgeon sent me to the closest ER. There they kept me NPO in case I needed emergency surgery. Tested the spincter muscles which were also weak. Repeated MRI, although there are issues, there isn't compression on the spinal cord! My surgeon was/is very concerned as compression on the spinal cord can result in paralysis and/or permanent damamge to bowel/bladder.

This hasn't happened again to me either and I pray it won't! If your surgeon is not extremely conserned, time to find another ASAP. Good luck. Keep us posted
  • I hear you jay.....which is why all my ducks are lined up.....getting another opinion next week as well.
  • Be sure to tell the 2nd opinion about the Bowel/bladder issues as they may get you in as early as possible or refer you to someone who can/will see you ASAP Best of luck!
  • There are only three well respected ns. In our area
  • Yea. .... this guy is actually very well known around here even though his bedside manner is atrocious. Patience. ......not patients. ....too many percs today

• Sounds like this surgeon will lose his patients if he is not careful. lol!!
  • I was thinking that yesterday losing patients/patience but didn't think you were in the mood for the joke.

Good Luck today and remember to bring your notepad!!
  • Oh I have a long list of questions for the Dr
  • IM off too a second opinion Tuesday. Original Neuro said he wants thoracic MRI and cat scan of abdomen and pelvis. He said there is nothing he can do for my hetniated disc
  • IM off too a second opinion Tuesday. Original Neuro said he wants thoracic MRI and cat scan of abdomen and pelvis. He said there is nothing he can do for my hetniated disc
  • did he explain why he felt there wasn't anything he could do? Did he refer you to pain management? I'm so sorry, I hope you will be able to get some answers Tue!
  • No he is a very arrogant Dr

.I'm going to his partner that just went off on his own. Pain treatment has a plan of attack for me if all else fails
  • No he is a very arrogant Dr

.I'm going to his partner that just went off on his own. Pain treatment has a plan of attack for me if all else fails
  • it was invaluable for me! If I hadn't started falling/getting so weak, I'd still be with them!It doesn't work for everyone, but it really worked for me! I hope you find some relief this long weekend~especially now that there isn't foorball to watch!
  • At what time does a Dr take a painful disc herniation seriously? I feel like I'm being brushed aside by my dr
  • At what time does a Dr take a painful disc herniation seriously? I feel like I'm being brushed aside by my dr
  • What did the doctor say about the bowel incident??

Are there any orthopedic spine docs in your area? They are often more willing to take something like a herniated disc more seriously?

Chances are, the ex-partner of your neurosurgeon will have similar methods of practice.