Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scared after surgery

ZackZZack Posts: 269
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had neck surgery last April & some PT says to stretch while others say not to. Has anyone dealt with this? While stretching does offer relief, I am scared that I might pull a muscle or end up back in surgery. I am LOST & in the dark as what & what not to do. Can anyone share some advise with me as what I should do at this point?

• We've done this debate before. I personally like PT and think the right therapist can be a life saver. I also like the detailed info I can get from the therapist. Things the doctors don't have the time to talk about.

I know alot of doctors do not believe therapy is worthwhile and some even feel it is harmful. Just like everything in life there are many different beliefs. Because we are all so different it is impossible to have just one right answer.

I would speak with your doctor about this. Also speak with your PT. I always try to keep in the back of my mind what might be influencing their recommendations. I had a neurologist who had PT in his office so of course everyone did PT. My ortho didn't believe in PT 15 years ago but now he has seen the benefit.

If you decide stretching is what you want to do then invest in a few PT sessions to learn a home program. Any good PT will start you with home exercise right away. Again if they don't it is probably because they want to keep you coming back to them.

I hate to sound cynical but I am so frustrated with the endless rounds of doctors and medical professionals. Any other business would offer refunds if their product doesn't work. Why is it that doctors can make us wait hours after our appts and then screw up the diagnosis, give us wrong meds and then when we go back they want to try something else. Well that's my rant for the day. :)
  • Kris-NY said:

I hate to sound cynical but I am so frustrated with the endless rounds of doctors and medical professionals. Any other business would offer refunds if their product doesn't work. Why is it that doctors can make us wait hours after our appts and then screw up the diagnosis, give us wrong meds and then when we go back they want to try something else. Well that's my rant for the day. :)
    And a good rant it was. My sentiments exactly! And now my ranting can be done for the day too. Thanks Kris. Oh, so sorry, not to hijack your thread. Please, carry on.

• My orthopedic PT has me doing stretches for my entire back and I have to say they do help, when they're not making me hurt like crazy, lol.

I have one stretch for my lumbar stenosis, another to keep my mid-back limber because of the scoliosis, and hamstring stretches for my lumbar problems. He says that stretching the hamstrings is important in keeping the pelvis flexible, and thus the low back. Who knew? He also gave me stretches for my hip joints which he says are very tight. Wow, those stretches are buggers that leave my hips hurting too bad to sleep. He says that the hip joint is the strongest joint in the body and I might hurt from the exercises but I won't damage the joint--not convinced yet that the benefits outweigh the discomfort, lol. Oh, and the other exercise is to relieve my neck pain when it bothers. I had a cervical posterior foraminotomy last April for disc herniation, same time as Zack, and have other neck issues brewing. He gave me "neck glides" which aren't stretching exercises but briefly relieve pressure on the nerves in the neck. Only do them when needed and usually one is enough to relax my neck. Only problem came recently when I woke up with a stiff neck (that's how my first herniation presented itself at first) and when it hadn't relieved in a couple of days I did a neck glide. Mistake! The stiffness in my neck turned into pain down my arm for the rest of the day. That pain went away finally but now I'm going to be more careful of when I do those glides. ;)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • I've been told stretching is crucial Julie. I've also been told that traction should never be done after a fusion. My doctor and PT said to get rid of my traction devices.

I wasn't allowed to stretch until I was 6 weeks along though. I had to limit my motion so some fusing could occur.

This is a good thread. Sounds like others want to know what to do. We are all different so working with a professional that listens to you is very important.

• I go on whatever direction my surgeon leads me too. I kind of figure is as though I trusted him with my life so I will be sure to follow his directions. I have been through cervical spine surgery more than my fair amount of times. I have to say following each surgery the rules were very different. While the incisions were the same what was actually done in the surgeries was very different. Some I used braces after hard and soft and some not at all. As I await yet another surgery both surgeons and my physiatrist agree therapy would not be alternative at this point and time, nor healthy. Don't get me wrong therapy has it's benefits but has it's limitations as well. As many therapy sessions as I have been through about the only thing they can do anymore is the messages, as I know about every possible stretch there is available. I really don't need anyone to watch me do them either as the stretches are just a part of life now.

I have to say I have gone far enough to stop a therapist on something that was going to hurt me. The orders involved nothing over head and the therapist thought she would over ride that order thinking she knew better. One call to my surgeons office put a end to me in that facility. So I will always listen to my surgeon. If for some reason you think something is up with your surgeon then seek a alternative opinion.
  • Any idea why so many surgeries? That's concerning. I'm hoping one will be my experience.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    HI Ms Julie,
    I had a major rebuild of my cervical spine almost 2.5 years ago and no PT was recommended by my n/s. I am with Kris and tamtam on this subject,
    let your surgeon decide and if anything hurts during PT don't be afraid to say enough of that. We are all different, surgeries are all different, & Dr's are different. Follow directions and hopefully it will all work out in your best interest.
  • Apparently all of ya'll did some type of therapy since surgeon said to and have had good results. However, a girl at my surgeons office said NO PT & that I looked fine and to stop complaining. She said they didn't have time to deal with me & to move on. She said it in an email to me. My husband showed it to the hospitals HR dept & the girl was fired. That's why I am in the position I am in (muscles shortened, etc) because while all that investigation was going on, I was at home with no post op remedies. So that's why I say "sometimes you have to be your own doctor", since a slip up in the system can sometimes occur. Unfortunatley! I thank every one of you from the bottom of my big heart for taking your time in replying to me. I needed some reinforcement in importance of stretching. Yesterday I saw an orthopedic dr (my choice) & he is guiding me to a healthy recovery with corisone injections & alot of stretching.
    s-t-r-e-t-c-h it's got to be good - I am finally coming around & nearing the finish line (per the ortho dr)
    >:D< 's & thx again
  • I agree Lynn about this being a good thread. Only thing is "I WISHED I'D HAD OPENED IT MOS AGO SO I'D HAVE GOTTON THIS ADVISE SOONER".