Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cabin Fever!!!!

lisa burekllisa burek Posts: 855
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Depression and Coping
Its bad enough to be recovering from surgery, but add in winter and I just want to scream!!! I have a ton of crafts to do many, many books to read (If you've never read War and Peace: the best book I have ever read, next to Anna Karenina and Tess of the D'Urbervilles.) I think I am at the point to start War and Peace, read it once but is something you can read again and again, its just long.....

Started an afghan to crochet, but it's just sitting there, waiting for me. I need a kick in the butt, which for me, I know usually happens when spring does. I have one flower garden (among many), but this one shines in the spring and just makes me feel alive. Its about 8 feet wide by 200 feet long, in the backyard. Can't wait for it to bloom, I'm sure there are many others feeling the same way!

Hoping we all get through the cabin fever and make it to Spring with our sanity intact........Lisa B

• I knowwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Today is the 4th snowfall this season for north Texas. 4-6" is nothing for some of you spineys,but it is unheard of for this part of Texas.No ice yet,which is good.I have a dr's appt. in a little while-I called to make sure they were there.Lisa,I have craft stuff,books to read,the computer,t.v.(although it is out right now)but I can't seem to settle down.I guess I think I should be doing something constructive!We WILL survive!Jeannie
  • ...in Water Cooler titled DANGER!
  • I have a stack of books to read and a million things I want to do. You are so right when you say that add in winter and its enough to make you want to scream. I can't seem to focus. I'm 2 days into recovery from a microdiscectomy and I'm bored out of my face already. My tv and laptop have been on nonstop and I can't find the umph to do any of the things I wanted to do during my recovery.
  • Jen,I was the same way-the first 2-3 weeks after my fusion I just looked at the stuff I wanted to do-and walked on by.I had the computer and the t.v.on as well.I am 7 weeks post-op,and I would say I did not get interested in painting,crocheting,etc,until about a week ago.I still do a little bit,and then sit.Totally unlike me.So,fear not,this too will pass!Jeannie
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    even getting in 3 walks. Let alone the 4 I should be doing right now in the lousy weather. We had good weather a (false spring) I loved it! Even though we need the rain and snow. It makes it hard to have interest. But you guys will come to life this spring! Till then, Just dress right and get out there and walk. When your done kicking yourself in the butt to do this. Come out and give me a good kick!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • For almost TWO days, Friday and Saturday. I had a guy clear the ice dam off the roof and the leak in our dining room stopped with minimal damage. So got to get that section of roof redone in the spring.

When I have surgery, no sense in using past tense, here, I suspect it will happen again at some point. I do the TV, computer thing. I tried to read books, but the narcotics and other meds make it impossible for me to concentrate and my mind wanders. I find myself reading the same paragraph over and over till I get it. After a few pages I just give up. Once a few weeks pass I can usually start to get a little motivation to do stuff. Of course, general anesthesia is a major depressant and being Bipolar type II and depressed, well it just don't mix to well.
  • I agree. I could barely get my eyes to focus for the first ten days. It was just too much effort to hold a book or magazine up and try to read. I'd start to watch a movie but would fall asleep part way through.

If you haven't been taking pain pills prior to surgery, and I guess I am somewhat unique in that, they really make you sleepy, too. Add in some Lyrica and I could sleep 23 hours per day.
  • After my last back surgery, I was so excited to read a book that I had saved! Little did I realize that, while I enjoyed it, I would have forgotten it all by the next morning/day when I would try to resume reading! Every day I would have to start the book all over again! After a few days, the ego takes a hit and I just stopped! This time, I will try simplier things, such as trashy, gossip mags!

Here's to spring! Shari
  • For the first few weeks I couldnt focus on anything. I finally could stay awake to use my laptop, but waking up to find the laptop on this site with the mouse in my hand. That is if I didnt jerk and hit some random button. My laptop has been my constant companion. I am still on to many meds to read and retain it. I hate it, cause I love to read. I also am not one for movies anymore. Oxycodone keeps me to fidgety to watch them. I want it to be spring so that I can enjoy some of the simpler pleasures!
    I purchased 2 handheld games to take to the hospital, and never used them once. Still havn't used them. I am in the BIGGEST WINTER RUT! Kick my butt please, but not to hard. Dont need anymore problems! =))
  • Oh Lisa....I know just what you mean. I am doing my best to quilt and read, something I love to do, but just can't get into it. We had a few good days here. Snow has about all melted but guess what....big fat snowflakes are drifting down as I type this. Yuck
    We are to get 3 inches tonight!! SOB
    Some days the pain will not let me do anything. Some days, as Wrambler said, you just can concentrate. To me those are wasted days but what can you do when your brain is screaming PAIN, PAIN!!
    HURRY UP SPRING. We want to see greem leaves and flowers!!
    Cheers :H
    Patsy W