So here I am One week post op..
One thing I will say is this experience DEFINITELY wasn't like a couple of surgeons described.. i.e. outpatient, walk out same day.. back to light work in 3-4 days..
Maybe it was because I had "more" done than just a simple disc shaving?
In any event..
Here's what was done.
1. L5S1 disc trimmed down to where it should be, My surgeon was surprised that the right side looked worse than he would have thought based on my MRI's..
2. BiLateral Foraminotomies
3. "Clean Up" of my Facet Joints at L5S1 and one level above due to some arthritic changes.
1. My scar is way bigger than I thought is was going to be.. about 3" or so.
2. My incision line looks like a mountain ridge and is about 1/2" higher than the skin level at it's highest point. Not sure this is normal but I've got a recheck monday.
1. My right leg feels great, no numbness, pain, tingling.. exactly as I'd hoped.
2. My Left leg is a different story.. there's no numbness and little to no tingling, but it HURTS.. The pain is an intense dull/diffuse deep pain from about the middle of my left butt cheek all the way down to my calf. It comes and goes.. but is there most of the time.
90% of my nerve compression was on the left side.
The left side is where my symptoms first started, thus it's been compromised the longest (since 08/2009).
My Dr. said he had to clear out a lot more stuff on the left side, so I'm hoping that maybe the nerve is just upset about being manipulated.
From what I've read, nerves don't just stop hurting when the pressure is removed.. a lot of times, it will take time for the aggravation to subside.
Right side, no issues.
Left side, about a 5 at best and creeps up to a 7 or so..
My Med regime includes Neurontin (till the nerve settles down), Norco, Oxycontin and Soma..
I've found Soma and Alleve (of all things) tend yo help the most.
So.. that's where I'm at.. I'm wearing a brace. I probably sit more than I should
I do have questions re: stretching/PT..my Dr. told me nothing but light walking the 1st 10 days (until my recheck).. I'm a bit nervous about my nerve getting locked down by scar tissue, but I've stuck to the plan.
Can other folks who've had this share how long it took for their Sciatic pain to go away and when they started stretching/PT?
I hope this helps other folks..