Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hips snapping bilaterally?

Hi everyone,

I had posted something about this a while back in a different forum but I don't think it was the right place. Oops! Anyways I am glad I ventured into this forum because I feel that it has more to do with my current symptoms.

I went to PT about a year ago for a few months because I was having horrid back spasms regularly. My PT told me that my pelvis was un-even and my hips were tight. She spent the first part of every session pulling on my legs, stretching my hip flexors etc, just to get my pelvis level. I did stop having frequent back spasms after PT but ever since going my hips snap constantly. I am talking everytime I go from standing to sitting, turning while standing etc etc. Its insane and its really loud...my mom generally hears it from across the room. They are probably up to snapping at least 10-15 times a day loudly. Sometimes one hip will even snap every time I take a step, its quieter but still audible, and slightly embarassing lol. Its not usually painful, but I notice sometimes that the area over my hips/flexors can feel sore sometimes. I have tried stretching etc but nothing makes a difference. The snapping has increased lately, and I have been having more back pain...burning in my low back when sitting, pain down the leg etc.

I was wondering if anyone else has these problems? Any insight at all would be appreciated. I would go back to PT but I don't have insurance at the moment so just looking for anyone else that might have some tips/experience.

• I've been to the ortho for this and surprise,suprise it's called snapping hip! Before my fusion I leaned heavily on my cane, right leg/foot was severe. I began to have left hip problems which made it even harder to get around. My issue was it felt like my joint was getting stuck. When I did my stretches(pulling knee to chest) I could only get my left knee up halfway. With a bit of force I could clunk it back in place, very painful! I would get snapping sounds while putting pants on etc. It's considered a tendon issue, mine was getting stuck on my pelvis bone. I now stretch that tendon every day it helps ALOT. It still happens sometimes but is easier to deal with and much less painful. It's hard to describe where the tendon is... it's in the front of your leg at the crease(near groin area). See if have a tender/painful spot there. Our issues may be different, maybe look it up and see if symptoms fit. Hope this helps.

Faith M
  • See how great this forum is?? You already even have a name for the condition!! The popping noise you hear is almost always caused by a tendon moving across a joint and getting momentarily caught on it. It is not cause for concern, but it is annoying.

I've been working for 16 months with a guy who does manual therapy and have become very aware of body alignment and how when there is a problem in one area, it effects everything!! Our bodies strive to be in balance and alignment. When anything in the spine is off, the other soft tissue will compensate which can cause problems in a variety of places...ankles, knees, hips, pelvis, etc. A common one is also a misplaced one: often people assume they have one leg that is longer than the other. In reality it is often a matter of the pelvis being rotated. I have this problem due to instability in my back. I have been working with this guy, and now it hardly ever goes out...but it does happen on occasion.

The most important thing you can do is to exercise appropriately to keep your "core" strong. You need a strong pelvic girdle to keep things in place and in alignment and you need to stretch every day to keep the ligaments and tendons supple so they can move and stretch without getting hung up!

There are many good books on the topic of rehabilitating the back after back surgery. These show a whole series of exercises that are appropriate. You probably need to work on the hip flexors in particular. Look up the following muscles as they often get stiff and sore in those of us with lumbar problems: psoas, iliopsoas and rectus femoris.

If you need specific websites, please send me a PM and I can send you some links.

Hope this helps.