Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

morphine sulfate- effect weeks after withdrawal symptoms

milkshake36mmilkshake36 Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Pain Medications
Just to be clear, I'm not discussing the initial withdrawal symptoms here. Although, some of the effects of the medication may or may not last longer than thought.
Anyway, I abruptly quit taking 120mg's of morphine sulfate tablets about 3 1/2 weeks ago. This was due to a new pain management doctor that required me to quit taking the medication to have a series of nerve block injections. These 3 injections last over a period of a month. I was nun-too happy about that, but what can I say, I feel more alert now. The only thing I'm finding myself going through is, I'm sweating a lot and feel somewhat irritated for no reason(s). My main question: After detoxing and completely over the initial effects of it, can one feel an elevated heart rate (with sweating) and feel irritated/snappy for a little while? My last question: Or is this something related to the steroid that the nerve block is comprised of? Taking Neurotin 300mg 7 times a day helps with the irritable feeling and the nerve pain left after the first injection.
Any help with this would be GREATLY appreciated!

• I'm glad you're feeling more alert now. It's just I thought they wean you off the meds slowly instead of all at once to avoid the side effects. I would call the Dr. to make sure everything is okay he may want to prescribe something to help you through the withdrawls. I hope the injections have helped you. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • No, I'm not going through any withdrawal symptoms anymore. I am trying to find out if a couple of weeks after withdrawals, can you have the sweats throughout the day? or is this something possibly related to the nerve block injections?
  • Hi milk

Ive had COUNTLESS nerve block injections and never had sweats after them. I am on oxycontin 30mg 3x a day, neurontin 800 3x and oxy ir 15 as needed. I havent ever stopped them completely for the nerve blocks either. I've just not taken the dose of the long actinve or the IR beofre the injection though, from the adivce of my PM. Then after I knew the effects of the injection I went ahead and took the iR and then the oxy. In my opinion i would think the sweats and the irritability are still some lingering effects of coming off such a high dose of meds so quickly. I would though call your doctor to make sure there is nothing else going on. Please call him even if you need to buzz his answering service over this weekend, because everyone is different. You may ave an infection or something else going on. But I dont know, i'm not a medical professional, so please call him.
    Hope everything works out.
  • this is quoted from the artical 'pain killer addiction treatment" on the Spine-health main site. But please still call your doctor.

"Pain Killer Addiction Treatment
    By: Clifford A. Bernstein, MD

Sudden discontinuation of opiates, “going cold turkey”, is associated with intense withdrawal symptoms, which although rarely life threatening, can be severe and prolonged, lasting up to two to three weeks. Opiate withdrawal is characterized by severe discomfort, including diarrhea, abdominal pain and cramping, vomiting, runny nose, eye tearing, yawning, sweating, agitation, restlessness, twitching and tremors, back and bone pain, and intense craving for the drug."
  • Hi,

Did you get through it and did you ever go back onto the morphine sulfate tablets?

I into the 3rd day of withdrawal, also from a 120mg daily dose for left side lower back pain.

I am going 'cold turkey' as my doctor is away for a month and I also want to ask, does anyone know if alcohol helps alleviate the withdrawal symptoms?

Thanks and I feel too bad to type anything further right now.

• Anytime you experience pain or discomfort, you can have an elevated heart rate. That being said, if you experience the elevated heart rate again, call your doctor immediately or go to the ER.

I don't want to scare you, but people have had "negative" outcomes due to detoxing. Just be on the safe side and notify your doctor.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • You're asking someone form a post over a year ago. I don't think you should drink alcohol in the place of pain meds. When my Dr. was on holiday I had to go to ER to get pain meds but htat's when I was first injured. You need to find another Dr. to give you pain meds or something for withdrawal especially taking such a high dose of meds. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • the best to reduce withdrawal is to eat sunflower seed and a lot of water ...it helped me .

nw am having insomia bt i heavily exercise and due to being tired i slept like a baby .

the problem comes when i failed to practise at the gym .

any help .no steriods please ,am a single mom aged 30 in South Africa
  • I'm not sure what you are asking for help with? I have never heard of sunflower seeds being helpful in withdrawal, but if it works for you, then that is good.
    Water, and maintaining the electrolyte balance in your body is a good thing. Excercise helps to fatigue the muscles and combats restless legs, which can occur after stopping opiates.
    Were you tapering off the morphine or did you suddenly stop taking it? Is your doctor aware that you stopped the medication?

• I have been around the block. The symptoms you were experiencing were in fact withdrawals from thr morphine. It could take months before you are completely clear and free from the sweats!
  • thartlingtthartling Posts: 1
    edited 04/15/2015 - 8:40 AM
    Never heard of any good drs making you quit... How long after you get the meds back, how hard is it to pull yourself out of withdrawals
    Teresa Hartling
  • I've never heard of a good doctor making you stop for nerve block injections. I had three and continued with morphine and gabapentin each time.

As for making you stop abruptly, that's just mean.

L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.
  • Jeannie013JJeannie013 Posts: 1
    edited 04/21/2015 - 8:13 PM
    I am thinking about going 'cold turkey' off my medication...Morphine Sulphate 30mg. I take approximately 11-13 pills a day.
    My pain management doctor prescribes 375 morphine sulphate, 30mg per month.
    I am 68 years old and in pretty good health, but I am concerned if the withdrawal symptoms would be more then I can handle.
    If I knew 7 years ago that I would be so addicted...I would never have made the choice to take these pills.
    Please let me know your thoughts on this. Can I do this on my own and how??
  • Don't quit cold turkey. Go to your doctor and have them wean you down the safe way. Otherwise, you most likely will end up in the emergency room.

Remember the difference between dependent and addicted!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • kathyykkathyy Posts: 580
    edited 04/23/2015 - 4:40 AM
    And I am still having some extended withdrawal symptoms. Chills. Fatigue. Of course I was on them for 7 years for one thing and for the other, I am 63. My doc tells me that in some of us, extended withdrawal symptoms can be quite normal. Hand in there. Kathy
  • Hope you are doing alright today. I am so spacy lately I don't know if
    you have posted on here about why you are taking the pain medications.
    I am 67 years old and am also thinking of going cold turkey due to tolerance
    issues with increased pain over the past 18 months my meds are not helping.
    I hate the thought of having to take a ton of them or all the other meds that
    I have tried with serious side effects but right now my Doctor is having me try
    a couple of anti-depressants to help the nerve pain. He got upset at the idea
    of cold turkey and wants me to wait until the level of pain is less before starting
    to cut back. I have to admit the withdrawals scare me but the pain stops me from
    doing it right now.
    You say you are addicted or was it because you were in pain and now your body is
    needed the meds. Just like Keith said there is a huge difference so don't beat yourself
    Sorry too much but Kathy and some others on here have given me great ideas to
    help me through it when I get to that point.
  • I had horrible withdrawl from two tylenol with codeine a day. Now I hurt every morning and after activity 3 weeks post acdf. I am having trouble going lower than 4 a day. Help! Do I just suffer from back pain for a week then it will disapear? Is it normal to be 36 with upper back pain and fatigue several on episodes a day sometimes all day? Could my body be lying to me?
  • Hi. I have been prescribed morphine patches for the past 7 months for my fractured spine and more recently, after 2 botched and unsuccessful surgeries I was prescribed some tablets az well... 15mg/h for 7 months and then oxi 15mg 8x day = 480mg a day for 2 weeks if I am right (it sounds enormous ). The dr also prescribed me anti-inflammatory, nausea pill, 2 separate antibiotics and some ibuprofen to make the morphine stronger. All of which had some adverse effects on my guts and i started getting ulcers. In the end I decided that it was ridiculous . I was in a worse condition because of all the side-effects and worse pain than without the morphine. I started to distrust my dr who told me there was no alternative to control the pain. And decided to quit everything cold turkey rather than serving as a guinea pig for this pusher dr. It has been 9 days... i had no idea that I had formed a dependence (please don't call it an addiction that's absurd).

First night was relatively weird. Hot n cold at the same time. Really hungry but not able to eat, can't sleep, cramps, runny nose, etc... i thoughed it up.

2nd was hell. I was so tired and wired and cramped and sick and cold and hot at the same time. I cried most of that night and ran to the emergency to seek help. But not knowing the source, i said that i felt like i had too much medication in my blood but the dr didn't seem to relate to the morphine. They prescribed me some sleeping pills and took blood tests to check my thyroid gland ... which came back good.

3 day.. by then i had not slept in 72 hour. My brain turned to jello and my wife and I nearly split up due to my strange behaviours. I took the car (very risky) and went to purchase some cannabis. I stopped having cramps for 2 3 hours and slept for about 4. When i woke up i was finnaly able to eat some fruits... which I devoured. I finnaly came across that it could be caus ed by some withdrawals... by that tim3 i was still a bit druggy from the morphine.

Day 6. I went to ask a pharmacist what they thought... they told me how there was no quick solutions, to eat alkaline food and have a couple of baths. So I went to the naturopath... she prescribed that i made a very strong tea, using thyme, sage and lavender.which is actually very good for cramps and temperature control.

Day 7 . I decided to start taking my temperature in the morning before getting out of bed... 34.6... The symptoms were starting to wear off during the day. But nights were still a living hell. I ran out of weed also and started eating less.

Day 9. I still feel like hell. My mind has cleared up a bit. 35.1celcius still low. Can't sleep still.

The councilor of the drug n alcohol rehab program at the hospital sais they will examine my case and call me in a few days. She mentioned that the hot cold and cramps could last for weeks or months due to the slow releasing patches that stays in the system for weeks.

I feel like suicide at times. I don't feel the need to take anymore ever...

Uh... this message has taken all my energy. I can't do this right now... freaking out . Bye. Please discuss . I need help.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Wow...I can hear the difficulty you are going through right now.
    I think it so good you have been following up with doctors, counselors to rehab, etc....
    You reached out for help so they can go along side of you in your suffering right now.

You mentioned you feel like suicide at times. Depression often accompanies what you're going through, but shouldn't be thought of as normal.
    Not sure if you reached out to psychiatrist to help you during this difficult transition in your life.

I did! During my dark times, I would also call suicide hotline. It was programmed into my phone.
    I'd call whenever I wanted and I'd say whatever I wanted to.
    I may not have always believed the words of the other person, but it would give me pause..able to think and regroup.

Spine-health provides numbers and I have listed them below.
    USA: 1-800-784-2433
    UK: 08457 90 90 90
    ROI: 1850 60 90 90

Suicide Hotline Number for Canada (URL Link)
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Betty65BBetty65 FloridaPosts: 83
    Wow, let me first say I am so impressed with your "stick-to-it" strength in getting through this time, even though it is so bad right now. Please keep us updated on your progress. I am certain your words are helping many people on this forum. Take care.

• SingleDad707SSingleDad707 Posts: 1
    edited 11/07/2015 - 8:12 AM
    I am new to thias forum, but not to this whole ball game. I am single father of two, work full-time while their mom lives 700 miles away and can't drive due to seizures from my car accident.

I was taking Vicodin for nearly the last 2 years since my accident. I decided enough was enough, because they didn't do basically anything to stop the pain caused by plates put in my head. I quit the vicodin, cold turkey one day, from 15 10/325 a day about 3 1/2 weeks ago, and will say the first 4-5 days was HELL.

However due to the severe pain, I opted to take a small 15mg twice over the last 3 days & it's been almost 48 hours since I stopped. Anyone have an idea if I just screwed myself if I went back to day?

I don't have any nor feel the need to have them in order to start my day, but wasn't sure if they just kick in much later and I'm screwed.

And to anyone out there, with all the reading I've done and things I've tried, exercise and getting food in you is a must. Add fault vitamins and go to work if possible, the busy work place made me not think about how [edit] I felt.

So if anyone has an idea on if this should be fairly painless, or am I about to hit a wall?

Please click on this link for spine-health information
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Liz. Spine-health Moderator
This discussion has been closed.