Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

why oh why, did I over do it?!!

jayhawkjjayhawk Posts: 1,032
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well...it appears, I way over did it yesterday. Had lunch with a girlfriend, and a glass of wine combined with a ton of laughter, and my oh my, I over did it! My daughter was having a friend over that had never been here. As I sat on the sofa and looked around, I was overwhelmed by clutter! And I hate clutter! So what started as just clearing off one counter top, resulted in massive cleaning (quickly before the girls got home!) including moving some furniture aound (I know, I know!!), and baking brownies, so they would have a yummy treat when they got off the bus on a chilly, windy day.(and I ran to Target to get Valentine'd day gooodies) WHAT was I THINKING? OK, obviously I wasn't!

You can probably guess what last night and today are like...hot, burning, stabbing pain, feels like there is a hot knife sticking in my butt, combined with tremendous aching. I just want to cry! I have always been incredibly active and there is no other way to say it, "This SUCKS!!"

How will I learn to be still? How will I learn to sit and watch TV? How many Lifetime movies can I watch, before I my brain turns to mush? Help, please! I'm never going to survive after surgery if I can't learn to be still!!!UGH!!

• Its definitely a learning process, but after your surgery you MUST take care of youself. I know right before my last surgery I overdid a lot in preparation for the surgery. Getting all of the Dr appointments for me and the kids done, stocking the freezer with home made dinners/soups. Getting the house in order, blah, blah, blah. Oh yeah, a trip to Disney 3 weeks before the surgery. That was a back-breaker.

I think in the back of my mind I knew I wouldn't be able to do things for a while, however, there was this other ,little voice that kept saying "what can it hurt? Surgery is soon, everything will be fixed".

Of course for me that was foolish thinking because I had already had a 2 level fusion and I could have done more damage to the part that wasn't being worked on.

This time around I promised I would treat myself more kindly. I am having my kids take on more responsibility and am going to have my friend's 11 year old son help me with gardening so I have less bending but can still have my veg. garden.

And seriously, Lifetime movies? They'll turn anyone's brains to mush! Do you like to read? Knit or crochet? How about joining Netflix, I love it.

OK, I think I've rambled on long enough. Maybe others here can tell you how they have coped with this issue. Take care, Lisa
  • God would I love to tell you how to stay still. But I can't I am some what like you I can't stand a dirty home. And I am not the type that can stay in bed. So I over do it once or twice a week. You would think with all that pain we would learn.
    I just wanted you to know you not the only one with that problem.

Hope you be pain free after surgery

• Man- do any of us get it right??? I hope that you feel better soon. I tend to feel bad for getting on for a week after "doing too much".
    Did you feel it at the time? I find that if it hurts when I do it generally it is not quite as bad as when I dont'! Go figure!!
    My house is a complete mess most of the time despite hubby being out of work. Seems that all "my" jobs take too much time to juggle along with applying for jobs!!
    The problem is that when you do too much you then hit the wall as far as getting better afterwards. In the long run doing too much at once seems to slow the whole recovery thing down. It is a hard lesson to learn - I still struggle to say no - but you must! If you can ;)
  • You need a guard...like one of those pesky "school hall monitor" types. That's what's been working for me.

I have my husband and mother-in-law being extremely watchful. I am also monitoring myself as best possible but it's not easy. So many things I"m taking for granted and this is my 2nd go-around.

Without them here, I would be doing much more I know.

Good luck. I hope by this afternoon you are feeling better.
  • jayhawk, you are too funny!!!

We can all relate, but you have to slow down for now, mend, heal and then you can fly around cleaning and baking and all the fun stuff your missing out on.

I hope you arn't suffering too much and that you have a speedy recovey.

Take care,
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    The problem is that "in the moment" I feel okay and then later I feel the effects of over doing it! I want to have a BBQ to thank our friends for their support, but then a few hours after I say that I think "How can I even be a sitting host for that one???" It is so hard to stay still...for me it was actually easier before my surgery and that I can't figure out.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Thank you all for your support! I DO need a "pesky hall monitor"! LOL I either don't feel it because of the adernalin or other times it seems as if no one else sees it and if they do, it just doesn't bother them. If definately have to get better at asking for help. I'll ask once, twice, then I get frustrated and will do it myself. Spring Fever will be difficult, we have had an exceptionally hard winter down here is in the coastal south. I have to keep the blinds closed so I don't look out and see all that needs to be tended to. 11 more days until surgery! I'm really trying to wrap my mind around all I need to be aware of. I'm thankful that I will have the TLSO brace it will definately be a constant reminder of how not to move. I never realized until last night that I lean forward when I put my make up on :) thanks for all your support and Happy Valentine's Day!!
  • People often write a post wondering either why their surgeon uses a brace or does not use a brace. You have just pointed out the # 1 reason why some doctors still use them. It is the automatic "hall monitor" you mentioned above. With the brace on, you will learn how to move in ways that protect your back. It will remind you to NOT do the things that can get a patient into trouble.

I have never had a brace before, but my new surgeon still uses them. I have been wearing it around the house prior to my surgery, and I now understand their benefits.

You mentioned putting on makeup. Another common one is brushing teeth. Unless you have a high sink, it is almost impossible to brush teeth without bending!

Good luck with your surgery!!
  • After my last surgery, I had a soft brace, I knew my restrictions inside and out, but things such as transfering laundry from the washer to the dryer, getting in and out of the car, etc. I would twist and not even realize it. Without a brace, combined with pain and pain meds and it is easy to do activities without even realizing how you got from point A to point B