Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Painful hands

jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Chronic Pain
I am sure there are other neckies out there that have this problem. Its painful hands. My hands ache on a daily basis. Im talking about the deep.deep. ache. What I am looking for are any suggestions that you do that bring some relief. I am willing to try just about anything.

• It sounds like you may have Neuropathy in your hands.
    I have it in my feet and legs and the only way I get relief is strong pain meds.
    Luv your heart....it is very painful! I hope that is not what it is.
    Thats the only thing I have to offer.
    Sending a hug >:D<
    Patsy W
  • I have the same problem with my hands. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a couple of years ago...this developed after having surgery. I have widespread pain, but really notice the pain in my hands and feet, especially when lying down. For some reason the pain and stiffness are much worse then. I notice the aching in my hands...the pain seems to radiate up to my elbows. I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't.
  • Any swelling or redness of the knuckles? I love paraffin baths when my hands are painful. Mine are painful from arthritis.

Best to you,

• i have painful hands too and sometimes they are stone cold .i have thoracic outlet syndrome that's why i have hand problems ..have you been checked out for this?
  • I don't have this problem, but a friend has arthritis from lyme disease.We were talking about it the other day.

Mariane mentioned parafin baths, you can buy at home kits. I had it done as part of a spa gift and it felt great. What about heat? Hardware stores sell a product called "Hot Hands", you microwave them and they supposedly last for hours. You can keep them in your pockets. Lastly, craft stores sell special gloves for those with arthritis who still want to crochet, etc. I think about 10-20.00.

I hope one of these suggestions helps, it was all my friend and I could come up with to try and help her. Good luck, Lisa
  • but i'm trying to figure this one out myself!

i've also gotten to where i have days where i can hardly use my right hand. i have a hard time picking things up, and holding on to them.

i literally shed a tear this morning, when i picked up my coffee cup and spilled some. so darn frustrating!

and hopefully this isn't TMI, but it's a darn shame when you have a hard time wiping your own behind!

hopefully we can learn to laugh about about it some day.

i hope you find some relief!
  • Good morning,I wake in the morning with numb,tingling and very painful hands everyday.My pain meds help a little but not much.Heat does help some,but not a lot.I have trouble holding things.I really hope you find some relief,but that's all I have to offer.Sorry.Happy Valentines Day everyone.Peace and love. Mark
  • In addition to what the others have said, I use the heat wraps for hands that I get at walgrens. Another thing that helps is sleeping with hands over your head. Now I can't put my hands over my head if I am up only in the bed does it work. To stop some of that night problem I also get out of bed every couple of hours to move around. I also use lots of lotion. Sometimes to get the pain out of my hands I need to support my neck and that helps with the pain in my hands. Hope you find some relief.
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hi susan,
    The only thing I could suggest is the proper diagnosis of the source of your hand pain then you can try different methods of pain relief. For many years I have experienced pain in my hands and wrists due to severe OA. I have been on various meds prescribed by my rheumatologist and over time they are not as effective as they were in the beginning. Sometimes the meds will affect other vital organs and the pain relief is not worth the damage they may incur.
    Be your own advocate and aggressively pursue the answers to the source of your pain and discomfort. Hopefully you will find the relief you deserve.
  • Mine ache on the outsides and over the top. Heat and massage seem to help a little. good luck to ya!
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    My surgeon states the pain in my hands is damage due from all my surgeries plus there is question of a stress fracture at T1. They cannot get a good reading from all the hardware in my neck. When I have surgery on the 13th of March he is going to take a look at T1 then to see if maybe this is the problem. Why not...it seems like all my other disc are screwed up.lol. T1 might as well join the party.
  • As others have suggested, it would be worthwhile to get a proper diagnosis.

I definitely agree with straker that thoracic outlet syndrome is a possible differential diagnosis to explore. Another possibility is reflex sympathetic dystrophy. I was diagnosed with this a few months ago. Are your hands purple and cold, or bright red and hot? RSD is more common in patients with pre-existing chronic pain, and can be caused by surgery. Mine started up after my back surgery, so if you've recently had surgery definitely check into this.

It can be controlled with nerve blocks and meds, but the earlier it is diagnosed the more successful the treatment outcome.
  • Hi,

What kind of hand lotion are you using to help with your hands? Maybe I can pass it along to my friend and it will help her too. Thanks, Lisa
  • One of them I use is Cnd it has almond extract and is made for the hands, I also have the hydrating moisuture scrub in that line. The the other one I use is out of the OPI line for manicures and has both in it as well. Any good Hair places that is doing manicures typically cares these or very similar lines. If I am not mistaken you can also get some with vitamins in them at the GNC stores. Keep in mind they are expensive but if you break down the cost per ounce on them it is not to bad. On the less expensive ones I can use them by the gallons, it is just like putting water on. I do use the less expensive ones for my over all body just not on my extremities that have the damage from the nerves.
This discussion has been closed.