Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

c5 radiocupathy

Lela1122LLela1122 Posts: 119
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:41 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all! Just wondering if anyone can help me, I was diagnosed with moderate right foraminal stenosis, impinging the right c5 nerve, moderate marked disc narrowing with mild osteophyte touching the cord with mild canal stenosis.This is at my c4-5. I also have a disc-ostephyte at my c3-4 slightly effacing the cord, and at c5-6 mild posterior disc bulge, toughing but not deforming the cord. The pain has been horrible and in my shoulder and down my rt arm, and weakness in my upper arm where I cant lift my arm, I had a nerve block this past Thursday, the pain got somewhat better, but now the weakness is horrible. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what I should do next. I seeing a very good neurologist and wondering when I should see a neurosurgeon? Will the weakness eventually subside? My thumb is very numb and the headaches have been horrible! Thanks for any and all info, Lela
advertisement

Comments

• Lela1122 said:
    Hi all! Just wondering if anyone can help me, I was diagnosed with moderate right foraminal stenosis, impinging the right c5 nerve, moderate marked disc narrowing with mild osteophyte touching the cord with mild canal stenosis.This is at my c4-5. I also have a disc-ostephyte at my c3-4 slightly effacing the cord, and at c5-6 mild posterior disc bulge, toughing but not deforming the cord. The pain has been horrible and in my shoulder and down my rt arm, and weakness in my upper arm where I cant lift my arm, I had a nerve block this past Thursday, the pain got somewhat better, but now the weakness is horrible. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what I should do next. I seeing a very good neurologist and wondering when I should see a neurosurgeon? Will the weakness eventually subside? My thumb is very numb and the headaches have been horrible! Thanks for any and all info, Lela
    Lela (pretty name) Welcome to the Site!!!

I have no medical training, so am just relaying from my own experience here. My levels (see sig) are different, but weak is weak is weak in many cases! My NS wasn't so much concerned with numbness, tingles or even (to a degree mind you) pain; his big concern was when weakness was present!

Have you relayed this increasing weakness to your Neurologist? Personally (and again *me* talking here) if your insurance allows it, I would get with a Neurosurgeon asap!! I had weakness with my C6/7 and it is now permanent. Not to say this will be your case. Pain many times means the nerve is still viable whereas weakness - nerve damage is likely or beginning. Please keep us posted on how you are doing. Take care, and again welcome to Spine Health!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks for your reply! I know the weakness is not a good sign! All of this has happened so fast, I have had neck problems for a long time, I just didnt know what kind of problems I really had until this past January. You know the impingement of the c5 really bothers me alot. My neurologist is a great doc and he said I should wait as long as i can before any kind of surgery, I agree, but the weakness is scary!I am doing physical therapy, and the other day I felt great!! Last night and today not so much!! Thanks again, Lela
  • Howdy Lela,

I was yawning of all things when my disc went at the C6/7 level. Within 15 minutes I lost most of my triceps strength! I saw my NS the next day, and he without the imaging at that point pretty well knew that level went. I had the MRI within 2 weeks (hernia showed bigger than stink!), and surgery 2 weeks after that. Unfortunately I only got back *maybe* 10% of what I lost in strength? At around the 5 month post op mark, and after a follow up EMG, the opinions are it is pretty much permanent in the loss department. I was told that when the disc herniated out, it "slammed" [felt like a fat rubber band was slapped against my neck!] into the right exiting nerve root, and short of a miracle - unless you are fixed within hours (even a "rich and flameless" wouldn't have this kind of treatment! (G)), smacked nerves don't react well.

With my C5/6 the herniation was "slow", so when they got all the spurs out, and the disc off the nerve roots, pretty much everything came back to normal at that level! Hopefully your C5 is like my C6, and you can/will get relief for it! Please keep us posted on how it goes. :-)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Hi Lela,

You may want to check out the video here on cervical radiculopathy and see if all of yours is following that pattern. Another useful tool is the dermatone map. Hopefully therapy will be able to increase your strength some and it will come back without surgery. When you went to therapy did they do some baseline measurements to start with to see the level of weakness you have?

The nerve block was that for diagnostic purposes or pain relief? Did they have you keep a diary following the injection as to how long it lasted? The last nerve block I had helped the pain, but unfortunately it brought the weakness to the forefront more. It may be that blocking the nerve out gets the pain low enough to keep moving and then you can see the weakness more. The last nerve block I had only laste about 2 weeks, with the full effects being gone in a month. Keep us posted on how you do in therapy. Take care.
  • Hey Tam Tam and Brenda,
    Thanks for you replies, I did the nerve block for the pain, he said its obvious that the impingement is at my c5, I have looked at the dermatome map and have been all over the internet looking for all info on cervical foramen problems, even on this webstie, it says that either activity modification or surgery is pretty much the only thing that works, I am going to call a ns to get another opinion, not that I want surgery, I just want to feel better, I can lift my arm but if I have to lift my with the upper outside arm muscle it is difficult. You might be right about the nerve block taking away the pain, but the weakness came to the forefront. I see my physical therapist tomorrow so I will ask them about the weakness and get in to see a ns! I will keep you posted. Thanks, Lela
advertisement