Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

slight nerve pain at 2 1/2 months after surgery

suzyb82ssuzyb82 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had my surgery on Dec. 4th. I was doing so well, but I know that I have been over doing it lately with things. Even though I told myself I must follow the doctors orders. It is difficult when you teach 4th grade students. Just this past week, I have felt a slight nerve pain in my upper thigh and back side. Nothing close to what I was feeling before surgery, but it is making me nervous. Is this common, or should I be worried that it is re-herniated? I have been icing it at least twice a day for the last few days.

• Suzy,

I had surgery last year and my nerve pain is coming back. Has your doctor explained that you could have permanent nerve damage caused already before the surgery? My neurosurgeon warned me that damage had already been done to my nerve and my surgery was to prevent further damage. I am so greatful that the severe nerve pain is not so bad now. I will take the pain I am having now compared to before. So I would ask if the damage was already done. Try and do what the doctor told you to do. You can reherniate but hopefully you haven't done that. I also know that nerves can take a long time to heal so that could be what is going on. Good luck, give it time and ask if damage was done if doctor hasn't already told you.

• Suzy - what surgery did you have? It sounds like a microdiscectomy if you are concerned about re-herniation.

I would say I know it's hard to be careful but you have to be cautious especially the first 3 months.

Like Candy said, you may get occassional nerve pain, which is normal. You said you iced which is good. Can you take ibuprofin or anti-inflammatory?
    It could be that you overdid it a little and small inflammation could be causing the nerve pain.

I am not a doctor so can't be sure but if you are concerned, I would call your doctor to ease your mind. Generally post-op care is 90-days which you are still within so I would call and explain to them and see what your doctor suggests.

• I had nerve after 2 months post op. I am back to teaching 2nd graders and still have minor discomfort of nerve pain, which can be dealt with Tylenol.

Hang in there. Don't over do it.