Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Silly ways to cause a flare up

immyaliimmyali Posts: 399
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Water Cooler
I flared my back and knee pain up today in the silliest way. I tripped over my 4 year olds 500g hand weights she got for christmas 8}
Now i'm lying in bed trying not to growl at my 4 year old for leaving them lying around.
It got my thinking, what's the funniest/silliest/weirdest way you have caused a flare up?

• It is amazing the things that can create a flare up - isn't it :??
    As you said the little things !
    Well the most little thing I have done that put me right to bed, was ...... scratching my nose! I kid you not ! :jawdrop: I was just sitting there talking, reached up to scratch my nose and POP! Took about 10 hrs to settle back down :(

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • He was laying in the dining room with the lights out and it is sunken one step down from the kitchen, I had a plate of food in one hand and drink in the other, the dog cried out and moved. So I jerked from fear, lost my balance, slammed my other foot down jarring my back, All to keep form hurting my big ole dumb dog sleeping in a dark corner. My back hurt for days.
  • At times it is amazing what we can do that will not cause a flare and at other so very little that sends us along this road, simple bending of twisting always seemed to start these thing of at inappropriate time and places. The very effort of enduring the day has stated some and these flares just arrive out of the blue when I did nothing to warrant such a harsh event.

Stay safe, wherever you are.

• It's so good to finally be amongst people who understand stuff like this.

On occassion I have woken in the morning and could barely move for up to two weeks. Somehow during the night, I'd moved wrong and things in my back shifted.

One other time I stepped on an uneven area of the lawn and my knee was out of commission for a week. I thought I was the only one.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    and jarred my back while on vacation ruined the rest of the vacation and my God! The flight home!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    Its the small things we dont take care of until its too late
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Say, when you make your 17 year old shovel snow ALL WINTER, but come warm weather you forget to have him clean out the culvert under the driveway before the rains hit!

So, the hypothetical "you" being ME, I did it myself last night after work, Surprisingly since gravel and dirt is heavier than snow, I don't feel to awful bad today. Tomorrow, I suspect will be worse. I always seem to get it worse the second day when I do "dumb" things.

Had to be done and my son has Lacrosse practice till way past dark every night now. Ever have your yard full of gravel? It is not fun to try and clean up...that's why I did it, 1-2" of rain in the forecast.
  • When your husband smacks you on the butt and you arch your back in reaction to get away from him.
    AHHHHHHHH, now on couch with sweat pouring off me from the pain. Grrrrrr
    Oh well, he won't do that again, now he has to get the kids dinner hehehehe
  • It always amazes me how 1 minute you can do something your not suppost to, and say to yourself, "I'm going to pay!" And nothing happen. No flare up, nothing! The next time, your doing some little trivial thing, and BAM! Your out of commission! Why? Oh Why? Makes no sense.

One that comes to mind when I started reading this thread was at my ex-friend's house. I have always had a personal rule that if your a females house the toilet seat says down. If at males house, you put the seat back up. Well, while doing this one day at the ex-boyfriend's, my back locked up. It stayed that way for the rest of the day. Never lifted a toilet seat at his house again. lol
    Bobbi Jo
  • as it's not SILLY, it's fun!
    You'll have to do better than that Z06, if you want the gong at the end of this thread!
  • Kylie,

It is fun. It was the payback right afterward when my back lit up that took all the fun out of it...

I have no intention to win the gong at the end of this thread. I've read some of the stuff some have done in other threads. Some people seem to be trying to maim themselves... ;-)

• it's not your back your supposed light up afterwards, it's supposed to be a cigarette?
    Maybe your doing it wrong :D
  • My vacuum cleaner died on the weekend, and with 2 dogs and 2 cats, that of course are all shedding their winter coats right now, I needed to replace it immediately. When I started using the new vacuum, it worked so much better than my old one and I went a little crazy... Now, I'm paying for it, but my floors and furniture are pretty much fur free!!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • We had a nice BIG mesquite tree right outside out back door. During the storms in January the tree uprooted itself. Now being the conscientious home owner I got out the chain saw to cut the tree into fireplace and smoker sized pieces.

Note to self...........

NEVER EVER manipulate a chain saw to cut up a felled tree if you had/have serious back problems!!! I have since paid my neighbors kids (from 2 miles away) $20.00 to cut it up while I sit on the back porch and drink coffee. :)
    View my history for all the gory details.
  • Let me think...

There was the time the alarm went off at 3:00am for me to go to work. I stretched, heard a loud pop, and Oh MY THE PAIN! That was the end of L4-5.

Then there was the time my dog decided to beat me down the stairs. I did save myself and only fell one step. She won (She always does you would think I would learn.) and I spent 2 days with ice on the couch.

Then there was the time I decided surely I can just slide this couch to the other wall. It's hardwood floors after all. NOT!

Yeah, I can drive myself crazy just trying to stay out of my own way!
  • straightening out the wiring from the subcontractors last attack the AV cabinet. I spent 3-4 hours doing this on Monday.Tuesday the first bump in the road almost sent me home, but I went on with it. Back pain, shoulder pain. I even managed to fold over far enough to pull my lead anchors and until you tug on those babies you have not had fun with your scs.
    Now it is Thursday, slowly it is calming down, it does reinforce the fact that I simply cant comfortably do the "old" things, yay.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Helping my son cut and pile brush. I was pulling a large limb and walking backwards and got my feet tangled up in some old barbed wire on the ground. I kept from falling but that in itself must have pulled everything! I was trying to protect my butt and nearly broke my neck. lol. At least I provided a little entertainment for my son...he thought it was hilarious. (Was funny if not for the aftershock!) I won't even go into the rest of the stupid stuff I've done this week.

• immyali said:
    it's not your back your supposed light up afterwards, it's supposed to be a cigarette?
    Maybe your doing it wrong :D

ROFLA!!!! You caught me just right with your reply! You kill me, thanks! Puuurrrfffect!!!

Snicker - ROFLA!!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • but you just mentioned two things I REALLY want right now a ciggie and a snicker! ~X(
    Man, it's been 3 days no smoking and despite just having had easter, I still really feel like some chocoalte right now.
    It's 6am and i've not slept all night at need a boost.
  • I still smoke - normally fuse great. I have just started playing with "reduction in harm" things calls SNUS. It was on Dateline the other night! Basically "chew" without the chew part tobacco that still delivers the nicotine, but all the other bad stuff from the cigarette aren't there. Taste pretty good too! No spitting. Do a Google and see if they are of interest - the nicotine continues, but the Swiss have found many able to quit with it. I still don't "want to quit", but cut down. This SNUS seems like a good "happy evil" for now. My eCigarettes are cool, but they still enforce the "habit maneuvers/mechanics" of smoking.

Once I retire, I might try to drop all nicotine and such, but for now, need it. :-) I did, I laughed sooooo hard at your comeback about "my back lit up", and shouldn't you light up a ciggie..heheheheh I am still smiling over your come back woman!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.