Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Mom2boys3- surgery story Feb 1st

mom2boys3mmom2boys3 Posts: 34
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi al :D It has taken a while for me to feel up to telling my surgery story, so here goes... I went in to have a 360 l4/l5-l5/S1 fusion. Surgery was at 7 am and they wanted me there at 5:30. (the evening prior the anesthesiologist called to get details about prior surgeries,etc)

Was put in a holding room where my IV was started and 1000 questions were asked. We were then wheeled into another room where i met with my Dr and the anesthesiologist for any last minute questions and to go over what was exactly going to happen.

I was whelled away and gave my hubby a kiss... I was talking about how small the room was-that was all i remember.

Dont really remember waking in recovery.

I was admitted to ICU. Was given a PCA pump with dilauded. WOW is all i have to say. Too loopy on that.. Got out of bed to brush my teeth and that was the last of the dilauted.

Horrible night, low blood pressure, high heart rate about 170..looked up and had some blood transfused. Scary night...

Much better in the morning.. on 10 mg Lortab and 10 percocets, seemed to do the trick
stayed in ICU for 4 night waiting for a bed on the ortho floor.

Got to the ortho floor was doing well and was drugged up and happy at this point.

totaly stay was 6 days. Had great nurses the entire stay.

My home health nurse comes every day and cant belive how much I can do and how well I get along.
I do get ALOT of rest and take my meds on time..
Percocet 10, flexeril, valium, mobic.

See mh Dr tommorrow to get the staples out. want him to give me another pain me and my percocet for break through.. maybe the patch....

All in all im feeling good, original leg apin gone but now i have burning pain in my righ hip!
Its good to be on the other side!


  • You are on the other side now and your healing journey has begun. You must be glad to be home again. It sounds like you are doing very well.

    How quickly did they get you up to walk after surgery, and how did you find it? Any tips for those of us about to have surgery?

    Keep healing
  • They had me up early the day after surgery, have to say the first time felt like i had a ton of bricks sewn into my back, it was that heavy! I cried.. the 2,3, and other time were ok,
    I walk around now as if nothing was wrong!
    good luck with your surgery... the worrying was worse than the actuall surgery for me.
  • So good to hear from you.
    I was looking at the Feb surgeries and realized we hadn't heard but I knew it was a big one for you so figured you'd come on when the time was right.

    You sound like a tough cookie and like you have a great attitude.

    I'm happy you are on the other side! And doing well. Also good to hear you have a home nurse coming to help!

    Keep us posted.
    Welcome home!
  • Glad to hear it went so well. It is true that the worrying is worse than the actual op. Hope you continue to get better. Small steps at first but you will notice improvement in little bits too. Well done!
  • I'm glad you're back home and doing better and having less pain then before surgery. Yay! Take it easy with your recovery and walking. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • So glad to hear from you and that things are going well! How long was your surgery?? That was one question I forgot to ask for my 360, but mine is a single level. Do you think you could have rode 3 hours in a car home on discharge. i can't decide if I should stay at my nieces house which is only 1 1/2 hr from the city. Well keep us posted on your progress. Lynette
  • It's so goo to hear from u. I have been looking everyday for ur post. I am so glad to hear u are doing so well. U go girl. I do have to say I'm jealous to hear u have a home nurse. I wish I would have had one. Ha ha. I know u are so happy to be on the other side of the surgery. About ur hip burning, I had that too but only when I would move a certain way and it burned really bad but it only lasted about 3 weeks r so. Hope that helps. I am heading to Texas right now to my in laws and will head to Houston tomorrow for my surgery Weds morning. I hope I do as well as u. Lol. I am very nervous of the unknown but having been abl to find anyone who has had a thoracotomy spinal fusion, but someone has to be the first. Ha ha. Can't wait to hear more from u. Rest and I hope u feel even better tomorrow.
  • Hey Cora my friend, welcome to this side of the river! I'm proud you're doing well, jealous of the home nurse and sympathetic to the scary nights in hospital. Mostly, very glad you're home, safe and sound :) I bet your young'uns were thrilled, too.

    Very gentle hug,
  • Your surgery experience and mine sound quite similar. 8th of Feb was my date and had the same levels fused etc. Can relate to the first time up and feeling so strange. Had 2 transfusions but still feel pretty tired but so pleased to have the surgery behind me.Your family must be so glad to have you home and here's to a much brighter future for you all. Giant gentle hugs, take special care of yourself - Paula
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Glad to see you are home and on the road to recovery. I too spent a week in the hospital. No fun but I felt I got better pain control that way and I like hospital beds how you can raise and lower the head and feet.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Sounds like your on the road to recovery. Sounds like they were great in the hospital. ;)
  • Glad to hear everything went well and you are home.
    Just be extra careful with your little guys! There's so much us Moms (and Dads) do in the course of the day while taking care of them that isn't good for our backs. Its just second nature. This time around for me my girls are 5 & 8, and I am having them do a lot more for themselves but I still catch myself doing stupid moves.
    Good luck in your recovery, Lisa
  • you are right about not doing to much! as a mom its hard to see things out of place and not running as i would like it. I have to say haing my nanny is the best descision i could of made. I do rest alot and watch tv on my new led tv my sweet husband got me. sleeping alot and taking my meds... i am reall supried at the little pain im in. my staples are out as of yesterday and now my incisions feel tender. my meds seem to be enough for me.

    percocet 10's
    flexeril 5 mg
    klonopin 1mg
    neurontin 300 mg- for nerve pain

    Happy Day! C
Sign In or Register to comment.