Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Finally...12 weeks postop

sleeprgirlssleeprgirl Posts: 695
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Since my surgery, I felt that 12 weeks, (I'm post one level PLIF), was the magic point in recovery. Today I did a few errands without my brace. That was really a nice feeling.

Still I'm not able to lift more than 6-8lbs without a pulling feeling in my back, and after being up and around after 1.5-2 hours the pain begins. Nights are still rough. I walk/rest everyday, and do a few things around the house. No work yet since my job is very labor-intensive. I can't imagine doing any job at this point!

My surgeon gave me few preop/postop instructions. How much is the weight limit for 12 weeks and beyond?

I have come to terms with my many limitations and the severity of pain at time. I do, of course, want to manage them the best way possible.

I appreciate everyone who has helped me in so many ways get to this point.

Bless you all,

• Great for you to get to this point and you're able to do a few chores already. Do take it easy and heal. I don't know the weight restriction but if you hesitate don't lift it! Never reach for a load and carry things close to your body. I just wanted to wish you well in your recovery as surgery is a big deal on the body. I hope you heal completely from your surgery. The world is yours soon and it takes a lot of discipline after surgery so good for you to make this milestone of 3 months. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • 3 months was a good point for me too - finally felt like I was coming out from under things.

I thought I could have gone back to work at that point, luckily my dr. knew better!

Good job and keep up the healing!
  • I am glad you have made it to this milestone. You are very wise to set your eyes on a goal and know that the small victories will make the big victory in the upcoming months.

Glad you are listening to your body still and being patient with your recovery. It seems to really be paying off.

I hope you continue the next 12 weeks with less pain, more good days, and more updates.