Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone had this post op? I slept ALL day

SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My sleeping, since the surgery 2/3, has been sporadic. Starting yesterday afternoon I can do is sleep. I just sat up and put on the brace to do some computer stuff but my body is so fatigued that my eyes seem to cross when I concentrate on typing. I fell asleep while typing on my blackberry earlier today. I can barely type right and all I want to do is crawl back into bed (which I will do in just a few minutes).

My hubby says it's probably a good thing and just to sleep as much as I need. Time to go lay down. Anyone else have this during recovery?
2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    No. But enjoy it while you can!
    Good luck, Jim I) (|:
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Howdy SpineAZ,

Mine was cervical, but a week or so after the surgery I was suddenly "wiped out!!" My hubby like yours, "Good hit the pillows and rest, at least your body knows what you need!" So, I guess your body is letting you know that sleep to heal is in order! Hope your feeling better!!!

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Yes, a few weeks after surgery I felt exhausted and would fall asleep frequently. I do think our body lets us know we need extra rest to heal!

Sleep when you can, just give in, this too shall pass.So enjoy it while you can!

Have good dreams!

• Last surgery I was like that.
    The first 2 weeks were aweful.

This time, I'm on a different routine and things are going differently.

I suspect when I return to work I will have this 'wipe out' phenomenom.

It's combo of pain meds, stress that built up before surgery, and recovery. I would say the first month, I wouldn't worry too much...or at least that's what I think but I'm just your fellow recovering spine buddy.

Glad you are able to rest!
  • Yes, I slept a lot during the first two months.

I believe it was due to the high doses of medications, to keep the pain under control... in addition to our bodies reacting to the surgeries. Our bodies will tell us to rest when we have the flu... so when you have major surgery, I think we need extra sleep during the first few weeks of recovery.

I agree with your hubby, as my hubby said the same thing. :)

As long as you aren't running any kind of fever, keep on resting and sleeping.

Hope the brace is working out okay for you. I know it can be uncomfortable at first, but you eventually get used to it.

Take good care,

• We'll during the 3 days I was in the hospital or 2 and a half, I may have got 8 hours of sleep between all the poking and prodding of the nurses and being in pain, when I got home, I slept like 16 hours straight. I was just exhausted. ;)
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I have an appointment Thursday for my brace - it's hitting my lateral incision too much so I'm guessing they'll have to adjust it.

I finally woke up a little more around 6pm but still am so tired. My eyes start to get tired and my typing gets bad...then I know I better lay back.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I'll let you know in a couple weeks! After my first surgery I took all my medications as prescribed without question. And I could not even read for weeks. I have a different surgeon this time and I have a feeling I won't have half the pain medication I had the first time.

I never had trouble sleeping. I slept through my three days at the hospital except when up for PT. I think I switched back and forth between sleeping deeply and cat-napping, but I was basically out of it. And I wasn't much better for several weeks after I got home. But I had nothing else to do, so it seemed like a good idea to sleep as much as possible!!

I think this time, even though my surgery will be more complicated, I have a feeling I won't be as medicated or sleeping as much.
  • I'm glad you're getting some rest. Your body must need it after your big surgery. I hope you're taking a multivitamin everyday also. I hope they adjust your brace so you're more comfortable and best wishes for your recovery. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • We had our surgeries on the same day and I'm still sleeping a lot. I had my codeine cut down quite a lot over the weekend and I still find that I get up have breakfast and then sleep the rest of the morning. I am more awake in the afternoon but don't have much energy or inclination to do anything.

Hope they sort your brace out.
  • Hi Karin,

Listen to your body. If its telling you to sleep then by all means, do it! Being well rested will help with your healing (but you knew that already).

I'm 3 months post-op and have a few days where I don't sleep well, then I crash. This past week I went to bed at 7:30 at least 3 times, I just couldn't keep my eyes open, oh yeah, kids can suck the life out of you, too!. Then my older daughter got the stomach virus (why is it always in the wee hours of the morning?) and after being up with her all night I was so wiped, hubby was home for Pres. day and I mostly slept.

I think we all need to remember to listen to our bodies, whether fresh out of a surgery or not. Sometimes thats not so easy, I think I need to put post-its all over the house to remind me! Chronic pain is also exhausting.

I hope they can fix your brace so you are more comfortable and treat yourself well. Take care, Lisa
  • After my surgeries I seem to always be really tired for weeks. I especially noticed this last time in October. I think it took me two months to gain energy back. I still don't have the stamina I did but hopefully by Spring I will. I'm 41 now and that may have something to do with it too. As others say, just listen to what your body is saying..if it's saying "i'm tired and want to rest right now" then do it. I don't think we give ourselves enough credit when it comes to these big back surgeries. They really are a huge invasion to our bodies and systems and we just try to get over them like it's no big deal. I've had to learn that even if I'm not sleeping, sometimes I need to just be still and rest my body for a bit. My mind and spirit are running but my body just wants to walk sometimes. Hang in there and I wish you a speedy, noneventful recovery.