Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Aloha! I'm considering RF rhizotomy procedure

Lori-On-MauiLLori-On-Maui Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in New Member Introductions
What a great site! I'm so glad I found it. I've had chronic back pain since a car accident in 1986. Fusion with harrington rods in 1995 helped a bit, but I suffer constantly and have a really hard time with ANY vibration - such as chain saws, mower, blowers, weed wakers, motorcycles, diesel engines - just about anything that moves. It feels like I've put my finger in a light socket the whole time until it stops. Then I'm totally flared up and must sleep for several hours to be able to cope. I fell (slipped on split milk on the floor at the grocery store) last July and have been unable to get back to any type of life since then. Now I'm looking for another solution. Reading about radiofrequency neurotomy or rhizotomy - hoping to learn more and get some relief soon. Anybody have experience with it? Here is what I've found so far: post edited for advertisement by Tamtam THANK YOU! :)

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. do some reading around the fourms on the procedure and see if it seems to fit the bill for you.. :D there are many times more than one solution to a problem. good luck and i hope you feel beter soon. :D Jenny :)p.s. i lived in Kauai for 3 years, it was beautiful!!!
  • Hi, I am new to this forum and just wanted to hear others thoughts and experiences with radiofrequency Rhizotomy procedures.

A brief description of my condtion: L1-3 herniated and/or bulging, degenerative discs, moderate arthritis, and muscle pain in my thighs.

Procedures I have had: facet joint injections, and epidural injections.

My Dr. now wants to perform the Rhizotomy. Will this help since none of the injections gave me no relief at all? I have different kinds of pain associated with my back: tight, stiff, very achy, burning-stabbing type pain that varies from mild to makes you want to scream sometimes. I take Opana 10mg ER twice a day and Percocet 10/325 3 times a day. I can't tolerate Nsaids, and the Opana does not do anything. The only relief is from the Percocets and exercising.

I understand that some meds/treatments works for some people but not others, but I just wanted to hear some feedback from others about the Rhizotomy procedure. Thanks!
  • hi and welcome to the forum! i do not have experience with that procedure but i am sure some other spineys will drop in and give you some ideas! i am sorry you are suffering right now and trying to find pain options.. it can be difficult! i am glad you are finding some relief with your meds and exercise.. i find exercise to be a must if at all possible,,i am afraid if i stop moving i will never be able to start again! LOL! please make yourself at home and have a good look around the differnet forums. there are videos available about your procedure if you are interested!! good luck to you! stop by anytime! we are a very friendly bunch! Jenny :)
  • Hi Lori-On-Maui!

Please note this is only my personnel experience, not medical advice.

I tried facet joint injections and a caudal epidural for severe left sided facet joint/lumbar pain and nerve pain with nil relief (at that stage my pain was still undiagnosed with nil abnormalities on xray, MRI, CT, bone scan). So as part of my doctors 'trial and error' approach I was referred for radiofrequency neurotomy/rhizotomy in 2009.

I experienced nil relief from the procedure but I met other people in the waiting area that swear by the procedure. So depending on your type of injury, it could go either way.

The best advice I can give you is to go into the procedure with an open mind and try not to be too disappointed if it doesn't work. Positive thinking that it WILL work will help when you are going into the procedure.... but if it doesn't work don't let yourself get too upset. Just cross it off the list and focus on what comes next.

The recovery is pretty quick and if it works apparently the result is almost instant.

Hope that helps!
  • Hi and Welcome.

I have had numerous rhyztomies, but never got much relief from them. I have had them at several different levels, trying everything before fusion. They are somewhat painful to go thru. Some people have good luck. I do know that the nerves can grow back and people get varied results. I would definitely say give it a try and as kristievf says, cross it off the list if it doesn't work. You will never know tho, if you don't give it a try. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.