Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

chronic pain help!

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Chronic Pain
Chronic pain is taking my life, I dont know what is left to do or try,but one thing I wanted to ask everyone does this pain make you tired all the time? I get up in the morning and I feel so tired I cant go and stiff. I think the next step is the scs..I am only 44 and I feel so old and scared, I hope I am posting this in the right place..Depression is setting in fast and I cant seem to hold on..I have had 6 injections and they seem to help alot but they wear off really fast..Is there any places that hold chronic pain support groups?

• First of all Iam sorry you in such pain.Yes chronic pain just wear you out. If I get more then 3 hours of sleep a night I am lucky. Well my next step is SCS Just waiting for insurance to give me ok. I hear that SCS is a love or hate thing either you love it or hate it.
    Hope you be pain free in weeks to come

• So it can make things worse or better, I am still trying to work and its killing me I keep fighting not to go on disability because they say that is a big fight to and all my fight is gone..
  • I'm sorry that things seem so dark for you right now and, believe me, most of us understand what you're going through. Sometimes it just seems like you're too tired to do or try anything - chronic pain takes a lot of energy and it can suck the life right out of you.

But you have no choice but to hang in there. You're young and there ARE choices out there where you can take steps to get things back to a manageable level.

You talk about having injections, but what else does your doctor say? Have you had a surgical consult? Do you work with Pain Management? Why only injections - isn't there anything else that your doctors have or can put on the table? I'm surprised with the amount of pain you're in that nothing more is being done to find the source and do something to take care of it. It's like you're fighting the fight but nobody seems to care about the battle.

You also might want to talk to someone about the depression that's sinking in. Depression many times walks hand in hand with chronic pain and there are chronic pain psychologists out there that deal with what you're going through.

Please keep us posted on what else can be done and what your doctor says. And also what you're thinking about doing to find a solution to the pain and take care of your depression.

Take care, Carmela. We're here for you.
  • Have you seen a psychiatrist experienced in chronic pain? Because yes, chronic pain causes depression, anxiety, fatigue- all kinds of bad things.

• happyHBmom said:
    Have you seen a psychiatrist experienced in chronic pain? Because yes, chronic pain causes depression, anxiety, fatigue- all kinds of bad things.

Kentuckygirl, are you still in Kentucky? cause if your weather has been as bad as ours in WestVirginia, well if you have any disposition towards depression you are probably going through it right now. It is just nasty here, day after day of doom and gloom, snow, wind, snow, more snow, oh did I mention more snow? My son has had one day of school in the last 2 weeks.

I get more help from my shrink than any of my other doctors, now that my SCS has been placed. It is not actually love it or hate it. Some of us tolerate it.... It is an addition to ones life that must be adapted to. It is not a cure, only another form of treatment. All of us that use/have them recommend you make absolutely sure there is nothing medical that can be fixed or treated otherwise before going this route. It is a commitment.

That being said they can be life changing.
    Hang in there.

I am depressed right now, so I know how it feels, it is all I can do to drag myself out of bed in the mornings. I hated winter when I could be out and about doing things. Now it is worse. All the different weather fronts pile on additional pain for many of us also.
  • I am in pain managment now but the only thing they will do at this point is the injections I aslo have failed surgery syndrome and lots of scar tissue, I am sitting here at work right now and all I want to do is sleep, I dont even feel like holding my head up God I am just so tired of the battle every day, maybe I do need to find someone to talk to.I just had another MRI last week and meet with my doc this Friday to see what else can be done, the epidurals had been working good for me but the last one has worn off. I have been having spasms so bad they are moving around through my hip ,stomach muscle and I feel like something is pinching in my groin area, my toes have been doing weird things like drawing up with severe pain ..Good grief I have always been such a happy person and I feel so trapped in this body..I love spine health because everone here knows what each other endure!
  • I feel for you. I feel the same way and have been depressed about it for quite some time. My antidepressant takes the edge off but still. Before I was on an antidepressant, I cried pretty much every day. I think the worst part is thinking there is no end to it. Not knowing if and when it is going to get better and then wondering if you are going to have to rely on meds for the rest of your life to make it through each day. It takes everything I have everyday to get up out of bed and come to work. Half of the time I sit at work, in pain, wondering how I am going to make it through the day again. It is very wearing and frustrating to say the least.

I know it is hard, harder some times more than others, but it makes us stronger in the end. Plenty of people out in the world can not even imagine dealing with pain on a daily basis, let alone work, chores, going out and having fun etc., so it makes it hard for others to understand what it is we deal with. My husband still to this day does not know how I can function with the pain I am in. And as always I tell him I have no choice because pain or not, I am not going to sit and watch my life and our kids lives pass me by, I may be in pain and miserable but pain is not taking anything away from me.

I do not know what I would do if I did not have this forum to come to. :)

Maybe you will get some news at your appointment. I wish you luck.
  • Pain Management doctors are not experts in psychiatry, I think a psychiatrist is an important part of the pain management team!

• I know what you mean it is hard to get ready for and then to stay at work is pure misery. And we worry about getting old what is to come and that is scary as it can be! A strange thing happened at work , my boss is never sick and doesnt understand back pain how some days you might walk and be having those bad spasms that lay you in the bed for weeks, well he has hurt his back and I do not wish that on anyone but he asked me how do you do this everyday and I know his is just a touch of what some of go through each and every day! So I think now he understands a little better when I call him and tell him I cant get dressed or drive..I hope for you also that a day comes that you are in less pain I wont say pain free because I dont think we will ever be..
  • How does a psychiatrist help? Was just wondering might be something I need to look at also other than pain managment..
  • My husband has always had back problems. His are very sporatic though. He was a heavy equipment operator for years and it really took a toll on his lower back. The days he starts hurting, today is one of them, he is much more sympathetic toward my pain. He says he could not deal with that pain every day.

I do not see where you say you are on an antidepressant. Are you currently on one now? Mine does not help my pain but it sure has helped me save what little sanity I have left :) I think back now and I was a miserable person, which is normally not like me. I would cry 24/7 over everything from my neck and back problems to someone not taking the trash out. I was so worn out from the pain and frustrated from all of the pain that the depression really took over. Even if it does not help with the pain it can really help with your outlook on life and about yourself. I know it is not a "cure-all", nothing really is, but it is helpful. It is something to consider or at least look into.
  • No I am not on a antidepressent right now but I need to see about getting on them I have alot of anxiety problems and he has me on klonopin for that, they seem to keep me calm but still do not help with the other, I think if I could just see the green grass and smell fresh spring flowers it would help to, winter never was my season for sure..Last winter I tried to keep my barn animals horse, goats etc but got to where I couldnt do it anymore so found homes for all those guys and that took away a big part of my life , I love my critters. Now I have Bella my little dog and she is a big help as far as trying to keep me from not be depressed..
  • A psychiatrist is an expert in medical management of psychological issues. So, for example, he might know of a better medication than klonopin for your particular type of anxiety, or might think that an antidepressant would help for both the depression and the anxiety.

I take cymbalta, which is good for depression, anxiety, and chronic pain. When the anxiety gets bad, I have xanax but I really don't take it very often. I was not sleeping so he prescribed Ambien- that made a huge difference.

I have horses and I think they really help my psychological wellbeing too! Well, except when they are trying to kill each other, then they make me crazy ;)
  • I miss riding my horse, dont know if I will ever be able to again , really to dangerous ..I can still go see my mare she is just down the street so thats good
  • I am a boss and I have someone here who always had back problems. I now understand and sympathize more when she is out. I have always said I wonder how the doctor's deal with this pain. I think they would have more sympathy for us too.

Unfortunately though all the sympathy in the world is not gonna get that payroll paid....and the bill collectors nor my employees would accept my reason for not paying them is my back pain. So I come in...

• I think it has humbled him some what I really hate to see him hurt even though he has never understood how this can go on day after day and I really dont miss much work because of it. I had my back surgery in Nov of 2008 and he thought it would fix the problem for good, I think it will never be fixed only managed(maybe) and I have had some docs to just bite my head off because I tell them its not getting better..But like you said the bills and etc have to be paid
  • If you want to call it that?

My direct boss has arthritis, not sure what type, but until they found out what was going on and got him on the proper meds he could barely walk. So, he has been very, understanding of my whole mess. He never really expected me to be 100% he said recently, so don't worry about it.

The Psychiatrist can do a lot, especially if you can find one that specializes in pain treatment. They deal with the mental side, both in helping you to think better and have a deeper knowledge of what antidepressants help with nerve pain, sleep, etc,

This discussion has been closed.