Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Level of Acceptable Activity

pearlppearl Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had micro(?)discectomy on L4-L5 on Monday. I was walking that afternoon, yesterday (2 Days later) I walked for an hour. Is there some sort of exercise I can do to expedite this recovery. I have been in pain for so long, it would be nice to take control back. Please advise.

• Hi Pearl!Welcome to the site-there are alot of wonderful people as well as helpful information on here.Those that have had your surgery will share lots of good tips-we are also here for those days you feel like crying whining,venting....we have all been through it!...Have you talked to your dr.about allowed exercises?Let us know!Jeannie
  • Hi Pearl,

I had a revision microdiscectomy on 2/8 (10 days ago). The best thing you can do is rest, walk, rest, walk. No need to take long walks but lots of small walks on flat surfaces.

And, no matter how good you feel, do not bend, twist, or lift. So far you sound like you are doing the right things.

I had my microD on L5-S1 back in August and thought the more I could push the faster I'd heal. This is not true with back surgery.

Follow orders. You sound like you are doing good but remember it took you a long time to get to the point of surgery, give your body time to heal properly.

A few things I learned:
    - Eat healthy
    -lie flat (pillow under knees) or lie on side and keep shoulders/hips aligned with pillow between knees)
    - do not sit more than 5-10 mins for 2 weeks; then don't sit more than 10-15 for week 4-6.
    -walk on flat surfaces. It's not distance that matters. It's frequency. The rule I've been using is 5-10 mins every hour. I'm now up to 15-20 mins every 1.5 hours...I'm allowing it to vary but I don't overdo it. It is better to walk frequently than 1 big walk and be exhausted
    - walking helps keep scar tissue from tethering to nerve. Later, the doctor will likely recommend PT to help teach you how to work on your core muscle and some minimal stretches to also help scar from tethering to the nerve.
    -no sleeping on your stomach
    -no bending....as much as you'll want to, do not bed to empty dishwasher or dryer. Have someone do it for you.
    -It take 3 months for the surgery to really heal despite the outer appearance of feeling better.

Again, I'm writing from my own personal experience. I underestimated the importance of the rules. The biggest reason the microdiscectomies fail in the 1st 3 months is because people overdo it. Why? Because you will start to feel better and push yourself.

Be cautious. Don't let the fact that you 'feel great' fool you into doing too much. Allow yourself the 6 weeks to 3 months to heal.

Good luck.

How's your pain level now?
    Did you have numbness before surgery? Is it gone?

Glad your surgery seems to have gone well.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    Consider yourself in good shape with the fact that you have been able to do some walking.

There is no exercise that you should be doing at this point. What should be happening is physical therapy treatment. After that is when both your Doctor and the Therapists believe you are ready to be discharge and start your own exercises.

But it is So important that you do NOT doing any exercise or anything Unless your doctor approves what you are doing
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com