Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

back brace

backpainsarabbackpainsara Posts: 25
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
How Long do you have to wear a back brace. I had surgery on L4-L5, L5-S1. The brace is really unconfortable. I keeps digging into my butt and my skin is very sore.

• I had a ALIF on my L5-S1, my doctor doesn't believe in Braces, he thinks you lose muscle tone in them. But ALL doctors are different and some use them and some do not. ;)

Can you ask the doctor to get a different brace?
  • Eric is sure right; all doctors are different on back braces as are patients. I bet if you asked your doc, or even just called his office and talked to the staff, they would be able to tell you about how long you'll be expected to wear the brace.

After my L5-S1 fusion, I have to wear my brace for four (yep 4) months. I have about 14 more days and I think I'll be let out of the brace. I think three months is pretty standard for brace wearing times.

How long has it been since you've had your surgery? I ask because, although my brace has always been uncomfortable, it was a real pain when I first started wearing it. Eventually ya get used to it!

p.s. Sara, as for the sore skin, the instruction brochure that came with my brace suggested putting rubbing alcohol on your skin to toughen it up where the brace angers it.
  • I wear my brace as needed. My Dr told me to just use it when I need the extra stability. I use it to drive in the car, or if I plain just need a break from putting that strain on my back.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    I have to wear mine 2-4 months. Mine is a custom made LSO and I had one part that was bothering one of my incisions so I went in today for an adjustment, they re-molded part of it and added some padding near the one troublesome incision. If yours is the kind that was custom molded you can go back and have them make adjustments.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • thanks for the advice. Mine is custom fitted and I was thinking about calling them about getting it adjusted
  • Thanks spineAz for the heads up re haing the brace adjusted. Mine was made so long ago, when my surgery was originally scheduled, I hope it still fits.....
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    The beauty of the custom made brace is they should be willing to make adjustments as time goes by. From what I understand I can come back a few times as things change and other aspects can be changed. I think mine may be a little too long in the front but haven't been upright long enough to figure that out...so I may be going back for further adjustment in 2-3 weeks.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Just an update. Went back and got brace adjusted. Seems to have worked, but still is rubbing on my butt. Waiting to see if it is from past soreness.