Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C1-C4 Cervical Fusion Please Help 24/7 Pain

shellssshells Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am a I guess whats called a newbie here, I am not on the net much due to my condition, here goes, I am a 30 year old female that was in a car accident Sept 08'(I'll make this shortest I can) I had Lumbar surgery(fusion) the very month berore the I was sent home from the hospital 11 days later with multible fractures in neck and ribs and pretty much everywhere doc said I had broken my neck and would need to where c collar for about 8-12 weeks well the first of Nov. while still in serious pain unable to sleep most of the time for having to be upright 24 7 had a hospital bed set up in the house I had unusually bad headache I stood up and well dont remember what happened my next memory was of peramedics trying to communicate with me. I was able to walk and sitting in a chair with neck brace loose feeling, they take me to ER doc takes scans and rushes in and says not to get up or try to move anymore says he's calling my Neurosurgeon right away well find the worst thing happened I had broken my C1 in a way never seen and I would be the same again for the surgery needed they fused my C1 - C4 bolting my head to the back of my skull. I have screws cables and plates in my neck I only have 5% mobility I can look down very, very little left to right and cannot hold my head back at all. when I swallow things come out of my nose Ive lost about 50lbs malnutritoned and am in pain 100% of the time. Im at the end of my rope. I am diabled per doc completley permantly!!! I was told the surgery was done wrong. Anybody had anything close to this and what do you do now to make it??? I cant write anymore right now please any thoughts are appreciated.

• Hello shells,
    I am so sorry to hear of your condition.
    I had fusion from Skull - C5 years ago, not a nice feeling when you are in constant pain. I cannot turn my neck like before because of reduced mobility.
    Much like yours.

Months ago I was rear-ended in MVA so I am now suffering with pain numbness and tingling, headaches - the plate and rods in my neck are broken and the screws are loosed.
    How do I cope. I pray and thank God daily that I am alive. I think of others who have been in fatal MVA.
    I am also on pain medications neurontin etc.
    I try to keep my mind positive, listen to soothing music etc.Its very difficult even to read. Everything hurts, its difficult to sleep because of the pain.
    Every movement causes pain- while traveling, while turning in the bed. Even trying to sleep hurts.
    However, I am taking everything one day a time.
    Today will pass and become history, tomorrow will be another day and hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. We have to keep hope alive.
    Hold onto hope.