Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Revised c1-c4 fusion help

shellssshells Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Chronic Pain
Revised edition---too sleepy and hurting to write very well on the last one sent.
I am I guess what’s called a newbie here. I am not on the net much due to my condition. Here goes-- I am a 30 year old female that was in a car accident Sept 08'(I'll make this as short as I can) I had a car accident with multiple fractures in neck and ribs and pretty much everywhere--the Dr said I had broken my neck and would need to wear a C collar for about 8-12 weeks. Well, the first of Nov., still in serious pain, unable to sleep most of the time for having to be upright 24 7-- I remember I was lying in a hospital bed that was set up in the house and I had unusually bad headache---I stood up and well….I don’t remember what happened --my next memory was of paramedics trying to communicate with me. I was able to walk and sit in a chair with the neck brace loose feeling around my neck, they took me to ER and the Dr took scans and rushes in, and says—Do not to get up or try to move anymore, says he's calling my Neurosurgeon right away. Well, I found out the worst thing happened-- I had broken my C1 in a way never seen and I would never be the same again. The surgery they said I needed would fuse my C1 - C4, bolting my neck to the back of my skull. I have screws, cables and plates in my neck. I only have 5% mobility, I can look down very, very little and very little left to right and I cannot lean my head back at all. When I swallow, things come out of my nose. I’ve lost about 50lbs and am suffering from malnutrition and am in pain 100% of the time. I’m at the end of my rope. I am disabled and per the Neurosurgeon, I am 100% disabled permanently!!! I was told the surgery was done wrong by another doctor in the practice. Has anybody had anything close to this and what do you do now to make it??? I can’t write anymore right now please, any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

• Shells,
    That's just awful, do you live alone, is there someone helping you?
    What have the doctors said about the other doctor's botch up? What have they said your prognosis is?
    Sorry shouldn't be firing questions, it's just stories like yours that is unimaginable.
    You should find out what your rights are regarding compensation for A) the car accident and B ) the doctors bad surgery, you are going to need assistance and perhaps home modifications.
    My heart goes out to you and any time you need to vent we are here for you.
    Kylie >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • I have the same fusion from a motorcycle accident, I was wearing a helmet and got taken out 5/17/14. The dr called it an internal decaputation. Prior to my accident I was a body builder and a physical therapist. So this can happen to any one. My C1-C4 is fused the attached to my occipital bone, back or base of skull. My traps were so big and strong enough to provide in line stabilization, until manual stabilization was provide. The gym saved my life. It's been 7 months for me now I can bring my chin to chest so I can look down all the way. And my left to right is only 45 deg compared to range of 90 in both directions. The dr told my fam I would have no range of motion. But health condition and age play a major part in the recovery. So I would just work on holding my neck to its limits and just stretch the muscles. Other vertebraes will compensate for that lost range you just have to work towards it. My down fall is I have a brachial plexus injury to my right arm. Which just means nerve damage between the neck and shoulder. So I have no function to my right arm and no sensory so I'm forced to become left handed. I am also permeantly disabled as well. Trying to imbrace my front row parking spot. I lost a good 90lbs. Of muscles and gained 60 of it back so I wish I did have a eating problem but remember I'm a bodybuilder so I'm now muscle with a gut, and a skinny dangling right arm, and it's sublaxed so very nasty and straining on the whole body to compensate for the weight distribution.
  • piperbillppiperbill Posts: 29
    edited 09/02/2015 - 1:41 PM
    Im a newbi also, going to have this done next week so will be posting experiance and questions as I go. Evidently broke the c1 and c2 when a kid, but now 68 years old and 30 year vet (paratroops) Doc is wondering how i am still around. keeping it short currently, can only wish the best to all. take care .

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • well had the fusion done, wound up anterior fusing c3 c4 c5 then flipped over and did c1 thru c7 and then screwed rods into the base of my skull and put in plates to fuse the whole thing. took out the c1 as it was just two broken to try to fix. original symptoms all gone, vision improve to the point my glasses do not work been a week now and big pain in the shoulders, spasms and soreness. lots of pain management here but feel most is normal for the complexity of the surgery that was done. have some trouble wit swallowing as cannot tip my head in a normal way to swallow. hope to learn more as we go. up and about carefully. very weak in arms so reading a book is an effort as cant look down and have to figure out how to raise a book up high enough to read. more later as this is tiring