Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Found my post-op relief - tylenol PM

Kris-NYKKris-NY Posts: 2,207
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hope no one gets mad at me but I decided last night that I needed to sleep. The surgeon said I don't have to worty about the fracture shifting and causing other problems. So I popped two Tylenol PMs and off to dream-less land. The cats woke me up once and I was very thirsty/dry when I woke up but I feel so much better today.

Tonight I think I will try just one. Don't want to take to many or get dependant.
advertisement

Comments

• I for one am furious at you, and will not rest until I see you banned!!! :)

Tylenol PM is great stuff in a pinch. It beats the heck out of a lot of the RX stuff. Those give me worse hangovers than Jack Daniels (well, not really, but close)!
  • Tylenol PM is my new Brandy - since I am no longer allowed to drink alcohol lol

Actually I am allowed - it just is not safe with my meds. ;)

But seriously, it really does help me and I do take it once in awhile.

Happy to hear it helps you too :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Glad you found a way to get some Zzzz's.
    Sleeping is key for good recovery!

It's fine as long as you are careful when you first wake up....yes, groggy so just be sure to sit up a few minutes before trying to stand. We don't want you falling over.

Sweet non-dreams!
  • I take Tylenol pm also---and I have also taken 1 hydrocodone and 1 tylenol p.m.--I go to bed pretty early anyway,so I don't have the groggy problem now,but I have before.My dr. told me it is ok to take just benedryl also.If I don't take something I wake up about 3 a.m.--I say go for it! And yes,Jason,Jack Daniels helps too!
  • I love my Tylenol PM!!!

It takes just enough of the edge off the pain to let me fall asleep and keeps me asleep for 4 hours. I do pop awake (literally) after 4 hours. No problem being groggy afterwards at all.

I also find that since it's an allergy medication (hte sleep part) I've not suffered from as severe of allergies this last year!

I only take one PM at night. If I hurt more I'll take a regular Tylenol and a PM. If I had a REALLY bad day I'll take 2 PM's. Two will put me out for the whole night.

I have gone off it occasionally just to make sure I can got to sleep on my own - but only when I've not had a lot of pain issues and when I know I can sleep in later in the morning to recoup any lost sleep from waking up in pain.

• I'm slightly envious for all you that Tylenol PM has worked for! But really I'm just glad that some have been able to find something to help them sleep! I may be pain free and recovering wonderfully, but I sure as heck still can't get a decent night's sleep to save me life! I'm starting to think that's just the way it's going to be for me, and in a way I'm ok with that. As crappy as it can be to only sleep 4 or 5 hrs a night....things sure could be worse!

But I'm very happy you've found something that helps!
  • Why would anyone be mad at you for finding something that brings you relief??

I am happy for you and thank you for sharing what is bringing you relief. I think that is the most beneficial part of these boards: sharing our own experiences with others so we can help others and at the same time learn from others!

In that vein, I wanted to share what I have discovered that helps me to sleep: it's a supplement called melatonin and you can get it from a health food store or even Wal-Mart! Each tablet is 3 mg and I usually take 3 or 4.

Now, I am NOT a medical professional but I just wanted to share what works for me!

Sleep is precious to me!! Sweet dreams!
  • My sons doc recommended that. I didn't try that because I figured I could use the tylenol for the aches.
  • Hi,

Thought I would share with you that the same active ingredient in Tylenol PM (Diphenhydramine) is the same active ingredient in Benadryl. Not sure what other meds you are taking but the extra Tylenol is not a good idea with the Opiate/Tylenol meds. I was bummed when I found out that Tylenol PM is nothing more than Tylenol and Diphenhydramine because this drug makes me jittery. Naturally I looked at the active ingredients AFTER I bought the Tylenol PM! Hope you are sleeping better now.

Opps, sorry just read another post saying pretty much the same thing.... hate to be redundant.
  • I don't take any prescription meds now. Stopped those three days after surgery. I was great until I got to 5 weeks out and then it hurt again. Doc says its because the internal meds have worn off now.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    As long as you are not taking anything with tyelenol in it (such as vicodin or percocet) then you should be fine. Just know that you can get the same ingredient in Tylenol PM in any generic allergy medication that contains Diphenhydramine HCl if you want to avoid the Tylenol. I've learned to avoid brand names if there's a similar store brand with the same ingredients.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
advertisement