Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Unprofessional hospital staff...

sleeprgirlssleeprgirl Posts: 695
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
The more I think about what happened yesterday, the more anger I've beccome.

Yesterday I started back to PT after taking 3 weeks off..it was just too much, too soon. Anyway, the receptionist made me complete the initial paperwork again, and I commented that I did this 6 weeks ago, and they should have it. Well, she made me go to a sitting area about 15 feet from her, and when it was time for me to see my therapist, she gave a man my records to take me back to the PT area. While giving him my records she was talking about me and how childish I was acting, discussing me and so on. I was very humiliated, because I was just asking a question in a porfessional manner.

The man took me back to a room, and I told him that I heard everything that she said...and he said he was afraid that I heard her, and apologized for her. I told the therapist, and she told the rehab manager.

I left there fuming mad. The thing is..she doesnt realize that I just had hardware put in my spine, and had to take narcotics just to get there, and thanking God that I could just be there. There are laws to protect me from people like her, and now I have to see her everytime I go to PT. The rehab is in a wonderful wellness center that is affliated with the hospital where I had my surgery.

So...today...I want to know what has happened about this situation. Is that reasonable??? or am I still being...CHILDISH...

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    From what you posted, that receptionist was very rude and unprofessional.

That is something that should be followed up on.
    In many Physical Therapy centers (In Hospitals or outside of Hospitals) there is a manager that takes care of the administrative side and one that handles the medical side.

I would voice your complaint directly to the administration manager. If that receptionist did this to you, you can be pretty sure, it has been done before.

The center I am sure would want to know about an employee who is potentially hurting their reputation.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I didn't think about it being a recurring theme. And, they accepted me as a patient, and I think they should provide me with a non hostile environment.
  • That receptionist was totally out of line, rude and unprofessional. You had a legitimate question, she's the childish one. Definitely let her superiors know what happened.

Take care, Lisa B
  • But...I called, and had to leave a message for the rehab manager. We will see...

• Quite frankly, it sounds like she was rude.
    I amd glad you mentioned something.

If you are still upset, I would just ask to speak to the Manager and be professional but let them know that you were embarrased and insulted by her comments.

But know what you want out of it. I would say "Listen, I am a rational person but I just had major surgery and I know that's the case with many patients. And, while my questions may seem silly to the staff here who deals with this daily, this is new to me. I chose this facility based on its reputation and want to stay because despite her, I like what I see. But tell him/her that you are extremely disappointed in the treatment you got from this one particular employee". Let him/her know the reason you are saying something is that you don't want one person to ruin such a great reputation that everyone else has worked hard to build.

Leave it at that. I'm sure it's not a 1st time issue with this woman. If it is, then she'll learn. If it's not...and they don't do anything...they will lose clients.

It really stinks that she was rude.

I've had that happen with my insurance company.
    I've had the call center people be very nasty with me. I tell them "listen, I'm not sure why you are huffing at me b/c I've been very kind to you on the phone. I realize this must be a hastle but I'm really not asking just to be a bother. I'm asking you questions because I'm going in for surgery and that's more of a haslte and scary situation than the trouble I'm putting you through to help me get an answer so I'm not sure why you are being so impatient with me". I say it so nicely it's disgusting...I then get...'huff"....and change of attitude.

There's a good video I watched recently on anger. I try to remember that people that are angry or rude were that long before I called or walked in the door.

So I normally attempt to battle it with kindness like you did. IF that doesn't work...it's ok to be rude back but always with a little extra politeness to 'take the high road".

Good luck at your next appointment.
  • WoW! :jawdrop: Unreal ! I am so sorry this happened to you.

Please do follow up on this. People like her need to know they can not act like this and not have to be accountable for it.

Please keep us updated.

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Other than that...how did your physical therapy go?
  • don't get me wrong there are some fantastic staff on our hospital wards and they work very hard but it only take one bad one to make you feel like 5417!.and i think because we are in pain and out of out comfort zone we are not as tolerant as someone that is well .i have encountered nasty receptionist and even nastier doctors .and you just don't need it when you are unwell .
  • and when I was waiting for my therapist, I could feel my blood pressure elevated, my neck was pulsating...I did talk with a manager, and they are going to address the problem with this person, and they are allowing me to walk on back to my therapist, so I will bypass this person, which is fine with me.

Gwennie, PT went ok. I did have some pain...to be expected. I rented a TENS unit, so we'll see how that works. I'm only going to do PT twice a week, instead of three/week. I've learned the hard way that I must ease into PT. My therapist is on the same page also, so I think this will be a much more productive experience.

The weather is great here in the deep south; in the 50s, so I'm going to make use of this temperate weather. I walked three times/15mins each time today. It felt good!
  • of a department at a State University for nearly 30 years. If I ever had a receptionist who treated a customer of any kind -- student, parent, visitor, book salesperson, etc. -- in such a rude manner, they would be on their way to being fired pronto. Jobs are hard to come by these days. If she can't do hers properly, I'm sure there is some very qualified and much nicer person who would be happy to do it for her.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Sleepr they sounded pretty un-professional. I would complain to the office manager, even if you did something wrong. I don't feel good and I don't need somebody thinking i'm acting childish if I don't feel good. Its kind of part of the buisness, she should get that and if she doesn't, she needs to get out of that line of work.

After my surgery I was about to complain because they took a hour to get transport to get me to my hospital room, the girl they finally got must have been brand new. She grabbed the front of bed and must have hit every wall on the way up. :( :S And when she was trying to get me in the bed in the room, I almost got tangled up in the cords, I stopped her and told her I wanted a nurse to help. I was pizzed by that point. I would have complained but the rest of the hospital stay was great, I just figured the girl was new. ;)
  • Why didn't you confront her face-to-face?
    You need to do that if you haven't.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • I am actually talking with another director on Monday. Spoke to one guy yesterday. He understood my position clearly.

By the time I finished PT, I did want to confront her, but I was afraid that I would rip her a new jugular.

Linda, I have expectations that they will follow up appropriately. This person humiliated me in front of another person, and I should never have to see her when I am at the center; which is twice a week. Plus, she is a liability to them, due to HIPAA laws. Evidently she has worked there for many years...so, as Paul said, does she do this with other patients? And, she was discusing me freely in my presence.

This obviously is not life or death; just a bit of a thorn in my side...and my side is hurting right now--LOL

Everyone have a super weekend!!!!

• You should ask her if she thinks she is a school teacher, and perhaps she should do a teaching degree, instead of being a receptionist.

See if she has a sense of humor, it might help!

• she should be made to apologise to you...in fron tof other people.

How unprofessional!