Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

NEED ENCOURAGEMENT BADLY.........................

cbergensccbergens Posts: 31
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a formaintomy, laminotomy and facetotomy on L4 about six months ago, then the same thing on L5/s1 two months ago. Still having an awful time with burning and tingling in left knee and foot. An EMG supposedly showed nerve damage but the kind that will heal in a year or so. I need reassurance that thisWILLL get better. I'm on neurontin and Percocet and after several days of increased activity I'm worse than usual. I'm very depressed, very anxious and just need encouragement that this can feel better in time. PLEASE ENCOURAGE ME as I feel like i'm hanging by a thin thread. Thank you!

• I'm sorry you're having a rough time right now. I hope also for you this gets better with time. I know you're still early in your recovery from surgery. Please see your PM Dr. or Surgeon about reviewing your medications and treatments. You're increased activity probably is the reason you're having so much pain right now. I hope your nerve calms down soon. Just wanted to know I'm thinking of you and saying a prayer you're going to feel better soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I know how difficult it can be to find patience during our healing process. I have my moments of frustration myself! It takes a lot of time to heal after surgeries, particularly back surgeries.

You will get better, but once again...it does take time.

When you start to experience the better days (and you will), try your best to not overdo things. With back problems and surgeries, taking "baby steps" is the key to keeping our pain levels to a tolerable level.

I spend many (most) of my days just taking walks and laying down. If I can go a little further on my daily walks, that's great. If I can't make all three walks in a day, I make sure I have my softest blankets out and a bunch of pillows around me.

I noticed in your signature line that you have panic disorder. Do you take any medication for this? I have anxiety and have had panic attacks in the past. Without my anxiety medication, I would have a really hard time dealing with the bad days that we all experience. Sometimes our thoughts can get the best of ourselves and this creates additional stress on our bodies.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you and your pain is less. I'll be wishing you more patience and strength during your healing process. I can relate and I know many others can, too.

Thinking of you,

• Hi there,

I feel your pain...unfortunately, literally.
    I think your surgery sounds like what I had twice now. I had a microdiscectomy (laminectomy/hemi-laminectomy) on L5-S1. I re-herniated and the 2nd mass combined with scar tissue has me in a lot of leg and oddly upper back pain (I was so stressed about not recovering from the 1st surgery).

But the MRI results showed a revision would give me a good chance of recovery without trying fusion.

The nerves are crazy. My doctor can't tell me when or if I will get feeling back. I told him I could live without feeling in 1-leg but if I have the same thing happen to the other I will just cry.

But don't kid yourself, I've cried over my existing condition...it's depressing.

But have faith. Just remember, you will have bad days when you overdo it. But even before back issues, when you overdid it, you would probably be more tired or have muscle aches. Try to see it as very similar. I know it's hard.

But back recovery takes time. I am the least patient person I know...but in the last 6 months, I am starting to accept that this back recovery from lumbar is one that requires time.

It will get better. When you hurt, go back to the basics. Cut back on your activity, rest, walk, if you learned PT stretches, use them, ice, and come here to vent.

I never had an EMG. But 3 months after my 1st operation, I had an MRI that showed I reherniated and still had a heavily compressed nerve.

When was the EMG? What does the doctor think?
    When do you see him again and has he recommended a 2nd opinion for peace of mind?

I hope I didn't depress you more...I just want you to know that it's not easy so don't feel bad for feeling bad. It takes time to get better from back surgery so it's ok if you have a few bad days.