Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C-3 to C-7 fusion after car accident

Blessed BeBBlessed Be Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in New Member Introductions
I had a c-3 to c-7 fusion. I am a 30 yr old female. I was in a car accident and waited 3 days to get into emergency surgery. I had my surgery on 1-3-10. They did 2 surgerys. One through the front putting a metal plate in secured by 4 screws. Then 1 through the back putting in 2 rods secured by 3 screws on each side. Then putting in kadaver bones throughout. It was the worst pain I have ever had in my life. The only thing I can compare to it is child birth. My Ns said I was very fortunate to be alive and to not be paralyzed. I was in the hospital for a week. I told myself that I wasn't going to lay there and feel sorry for myself. I was alive. I counted my blessings everyday and still do. I continually sent thoughts of love and in healing in the hospital to my injuries and do to this day as well. I am a big beleiver in positive thinking, mind over matter. I had enrolled to start my 1st year of college going full time before the accident. I was determined to still meet my goal. I kept reassuring myself that I was going to succeed in that. I started school 1-18-10. Fifteen days after my surgery and 11 day after being released from the hospital. I am very greatful that I had my 16 staples removed from my back before I started school. I had very limited range of motion and was in excruciating pain. I was taking two 10mg of percocet every 4 hrs, muscle relaxers, and three 800mg motrin 3xs a day. Regardless I was still in continual pain. I stayed with my mom for the first 5 weeks. Now I am back home going on 2 wks. I wouldn't of been able to go home without the help of my 6 year old son. I had already taught him had to do all the househoud chores, before the accident. So he is helping me immensely. He has been my biggest motivator. I want to show him that you can do whatever you want in life no matter how hard or impossible it may seem, as long as you beleive in yourself. I now take 7.5 mg of percocet every 4-6 hrs as needed, 800mg of motrin 3xs a day, and muscle relaxers. I still have pain everyday that i struggle with. I have my good days/nights and my bad days/nights. But, you just have to take one day at a time and focus on what you want the outcome to be and beleive. My deepest prayers and sympathy goes out to all the people who struggle with the physical and emotional pain everday. I wish everyone the very best in your recovery. This is the first time I have gotten online to look up anything on my injury. I have been vey scared to look at what I am facing. I feel better now that I have a place to share my story with other people that are going through the same thing as I am. Lots of Love and Healing to all.

• I forgot to in my intro to mention what a pain in the butt my neck brace is. I have been a faithful wearer though. I only take it off when I get out the shower to change the pads on it. I'm scared to take it off any other time.
  • Wonderful to have such a positive-minded member here. You're an inspiration. I can just imagine how much pain you are in. I had C5/6 fused due to spondylosis, recovery was a little rough at first, but now there are days I forget my neck was fused. Again, welcome!

• a fantastic attitude and are an inspiration to us all.
    Thankyou for sharing your story, you have made my day.
    I am pleased you came here, please keep us informed of your progress.
    It must have been a nasty accident to have caused so much damage, I hope your son wasn't in the car?
  • I'm glad to hear that you have days when you forget about the fusion.That's really encouraging.
  • I appreciate your quote as well. Thankfully I was by myself during the accident. It was a really bad accident. I was T-boned and then hit a concrete median. It was a hit and run. I had a little older Honda and it was a big dodge truck that hit me. So my car is completely totaled. I'm a hair dresser and I don't know if and when I will be able to go back to work.It's nice to find positive people on here.Thank you again
  • RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    hi blessed be,
    Again, welcome to spine health you will find a lot of good information and support on this site. I'm almost 2.5 years post-op of a C3 thru C6 anterior and posterior fusion. My surgery was also successful and over time you will forget it was even done. Your youth and positive attitude makes all the difference, you will get through this, move on and enjoy life. Credit to you also for letting your son accept responsibility to help his mom with normal
    day to day chores. Not only are you teaching him something he will need to carry with him throughout his entire life but you are giving him such a good feeling inside that he is a very important person and it gives him self esteem. It's priceless!
    Take care & keep us all posted,