Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Blessed BeBBlessed Be Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
How hard is it to get disability?

• There are many factors in getting disability. The most important is having your doctor behind you 100% and willing to fill out the paperwork that will be sent to him/her by SSA. Please check out www.ssa.gov. There is a lot of good information there.

Best wishes,

• It depends alot on your disability. If it is obvious, massive and permanent it shouldnt be too bad. Because so many people try to cheat they are swamped with cases and have to do alot to weed out the fraud.

It can be very difficult and confusing to do the paperwork. Many people hire lawyers. The lawyer gets paid if you are awarded and usually takes his fee from back pay.
  • It really depends on your situation.
    I work and wanted to just return and work from home.

My work let me do it last time but then realized I've essentially been working with a disability for 4 months. When I told them of my 2nd surgery, I had to file a claim with my company even if I ended up cancelling it later.

For me, the job is protected 12 weeks under Federal law (but my state allows 16 weeks). My doctor has/had to fill out paperwork just for this to say what my surgery was, when he thinks I'll be cleared for work, and whether or not I'll need follow up time off for appointments. He's done the initial round. I see him Tuesday for clearance to return to work...but I already suspect it will be with restrictions. I don't want to go on disability...but if you are seriously disabled, then I'd recommend working with your company about filing proper claim for company benefits and then submitting necessary paperwork for permanent.

Again, the key is your doctor needs to be behind you. Most don't want you to be sedentary either b/c that's not healthy so they may only say you are partially disabled.
  • I got my ssd on the first try. Just 2 days ago Just be sure to take or send in all your paper work. What help me was my age 61

• I have noticed that also. A family friend had a triple bypass at 61. He hired a lawyer and they got him disability in a few months. But he was ready for social security within a year or so.

It makes sense in a way. The younger you are the longer they would have to pay. Not really fair since it should be based on health and ability.
  • Hello BlessedBe,

I have endured the 3 year(so far)torture in fighting for SSD. I have been denied twice and have just gone before an adjucator judge at a hearing last week and I have FINALLY won this LONG dreaded fight! I definitely recommend getting an attorney to represent you, as I learned the hard way after my first denial that I couldn't do it alone. It was the best decision I made and it finally paid off.

You will find that it is a VERY LONG and grueling process and one that requires an attorney's assistance and most importantly, documentation of your illness that can't be disputed or falsified. MRI's, Bone scans, X-Rays, EMG nerve tests, assessment forms from your doctor, etc. is what they look for and it's all to your advantage in winning your case. The longer the paper trail, the better your chances are of winning. At least that's how it was for me, but every case is different. Only an attorney can tell you if you have a strong case or not.

I've seen alot of people, including myself, that have all of the proof physically and mentally, a file of papers 6 inches thick, and still get denied. A shame but so true when you deserve it and yet there are people out there that are approved for alcohol/drug addiction and depression/anxiety the first time they file. It's a "Catch 22".

Us "spiney's" seem to have a harder and longer fight ahead of us, as spine problems are somewhat "overlooked" and not considered as a disability or limitation in many cases. But that's soc. sec. way of denying you. They have many attorney's and expert docs to aid them in fighting against you.

If you're considering SSD just know that it is frustrating, very tirying and can take a toll on you.
    Don't give up if you have a strong case and stay positive and keep fighting.

It's very difficult but don't give up. It takes ALOT of time and patience, if you have it! Good Luck in whatever you decide.
  • I looked up the site and filed. I have been able to go back to school and it's a everyday struggle. But I am a hair dresser so I don't know if I'll ever be able to work again. Best wishes of love and healing. Leah
  • That's good that your jobs protected. I am a hair dresser. Self-employed. Best wishes of love and healing.
  • Well congratulations. How long was the process from when you first applied?
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    If you are referring to Social Security Disability the process can be long and difficult. If you are yound and/or have not worked very much you may be entitled to SSI. If you have a signficant work history you may be eligible for SSDI. You can see more about both of these on www.ssa.gov

If you are employed, are you referring to employer sponsored Short Term Disability (STD) or Long Term Disability (LTD) then it's quite different. Also, if you are employed and live in PR, HI, RI, NY, NJ or CA there is state disability that you may be eligible for (you pay for it via payroll deduction while employed in one of those states).
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • I can't say much on SSI or SSDI, but this week I got approved by my long-term disability carrier. It wasn't all that hard to initially get approved, but it looks like it's going to be an ongoing adventure staying approved!

I can say this about SSDI. Someone near and dear to me is in the process of trying to get it. She is pretty obviously disabled and yet is getting put through the wringer! Blessed Be, and everyone else needing SSDI, I wish ya luck. Looks like a rocky road to travel.

Peace & love y'all,
  • For me it took 95 day to get ssd. But again Iam old. And yes I do have the pain to back it up with.

hope you have a pain free life
  • I am waiting on their decision. I had to see 2 of their doctors. The last one was a psychiatrist, even though I applied for physical reasons. Be sure you have "all" your paper work in order. I am 60 years young. I hope I hear something soon, but even if I were to be denied, I already plan to get a lawyer.
  • Discount sales of car audio and stereo. Wholesale prices on top names in car electronics and security and home entertainment.Car audio stereo and electronics. From high end manufacturers including Kenwood, Alpine,Pioneer, JL Audio, boston acoustics, audiobahn, ma audio, sony, diamond audio.