Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

oops-forgot to charge

WramblerWWrambler Posts: 1,588
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
Medtronic SCS.
Does anyone know, does it have a panic warning when the battery needs charged absolutely NOW?

I don't need to charge often and in my depressed winter stupor I have simply been clicking the SCS on and off with the remote alone. I overdid it last two days and needed to turn it up, so I used my antenna and see I am way low on the last bar or so of charge.

Should I turn it off until I get home from work? That will be about 5 hours from now.Dumb, dumb, dumb L)

• Wrambler

One segment remaining indicates a battery charge of 25%. Your programmer will show a low battery indication (the battery without segments) when it is imperative you charge or risk over-discharging your battery. 5 hours on 25% should be easily doable, especially if you don't have the need to charge every couple of days.

• I thought it was fine.
  • I had no problems as I don't use that much battery strength.

I then forgot about it till an hour before I go to bed, so I set up the charging belt and watched TV till I went to bed. I decided to see if I could just go to bed and let it charge since mine never gets warm like others say theirs does.

I can say that going to bed with it on did not work.
    As soon as I fell asleep I must have moved and shifted the charger as the charge level did not change after I went to sleep, bummer.

There's probably some big warning in some paperwork somewhere not to try and charge in bed. I guess I could catch my @$$ on fire or something...

anyway, disclaimer, Kids, DON"T TRY THIS AT HOME!
  • Oh that would be an entirely new twist to a classic movie. The only way I have had success charging while trying to sleep, was to leave the belt disconnected and lie on my back with the charger under me. I don't move around in my sleep, so this worked pretty good, except I was sore for a day from lying on the charger. Probably a bit too much stress on the IPG casing so I wouldn't recommend it.

If you don't have to charge very frequently, it might be worth it to put a reminder on the refrigerator or the bathroom mirror to "check battery status".

• I was thinking maybe some of that double sided tape the fancy shmancy models use to tape the dresses on would hold it in place, but then it would probably get all sticky.

I'll just put it on my calendar on my blackberry, that should work...
  • When my battery gets low, I notice my pocket/IPG gets a lot warmer. I only have to charge every 5-7 weeks and sometimes I don't pay as much attention to the remote as I should, but I can always tell it's time when the heat starts. I know it's not truly an alarm type thing, but it's something I notice and it gets my attention.

I also charge while I sleep about 50% of the time and haven't fried myself yet... *ZAP* :))(

I think charging in bed works for me because my most comfortable favorite position in bed is on my left side, leaning slightly toward my stomach onto a big body pillow. Since my IPG is in the right side of my lower back, that position leaves it sticking up in the free air to not overheat, and tends to create just a bit of pressure pulling down on the belt.
  • BW, I'm so envious of you. I have to charge every week and a half. You must have some great energy saving programs.

• I have to charge once a week. There are several factors that go into power consumption. If my memory serves me correctly, BionicWoman likes a shorter pulse width, which tends to use far less power. She also has a Specify 5-6-5 paddle lead, which may not consume as much as a couple of percutaneous leads programmed to work together sequentially.

HEADLINE Woman disappears in a cloud of smoke while sleeping. Neighbors report periodic power surges and brown outs in area ... friends report she always seemed to be "full of energy" and "capable of getting a charge out of life". Landlord says "it was aliens, like in that movie Batteries Not Included"

• =)) at "batteries not included."

My power usage is a combination of several things, but the biggest thing is the Specify 5-6-5 paddle in the transverse tripolar arrangement.

I keep my pulse widths set at 450 for all 4 programs in my groups (running simultaneously), which is the maximum allowed in my current programming with the overlapping electrode use, but I keep my rate lower and my cycling is slower than most people.

According to the last conversation I had with my rep on that topic, it would take about 2.5-3 times as much power to reach the same depth of stimulation with any other lead/programming arrangement.