Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post-Op Whining

yooperyyooper Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Just had my surgery on Thursday.....so I'm only 2 days post op. Yesterday I felt so good....today has been horrible. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on decreasing the shoulder blade pain. I haven't found a place that is comfortable to sleep so I guess it is wearing on me. I do not have to wear a collar but it would almost be nice to have something to support my neck. Can't believe how heavy my head is! LOL
Just curious to what other pain relief ideas people have used. I'm up for anything.....Vicodin alone just isn't cutting it. :(
Thanks for listening to me whine.....going to be a long recovery! UGH

• Tina...welcome home and glad you did good on the surgery. I am not experienced with neck/cervical sureries. I don't want to suggest anything that I don't have experience with.

The only thing I wonder is...can you call your doctor to ask for a collar just for 'sleep time'? It sounds like the support might be helpful for you.

I know others will offer advice. I just wanted to stop in and say I know how lousy it is not to be able to get comfortable. I hope you can get some rest tonight.
  • in your recovery.

I am so sorry I have no good advice on how to ease your pain. You are so fresh out of surgery I am sure its going to be difficult for a while. I hope others jump in with some suggestions for you, I just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery and let you know that we all wish you well, your not alone. Hope your pain eases soon for you Tina.

Best regards,
  • yooper!
    Woo Hoo!

Welcome Home! Good to hear from you! You're obviously still looking for some cheese with that whine? LOL!

Seriously, I, unfortunately, don't have an answer for your pain either but thought if I could get a quick giggle or smile out of you it might be OK for a second.

Call the doctor if you don't get it under control soon. Could it be break through pain that you just need to get back under control?

Of course lack of sleep always makes things worse.

Speedy recovery and sleep sleep sleep! I'll go find you some cheese!

• SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Perhaps have someone pick up a soft collar for your at your local pharmacy. They do come in various sizes so measure your neck circumference first.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Frog....LOL Cheese would be very constipating right now....wine would throw me for more of a loop. Thanks for the giggle!! :)

The is so funny but hey......whatever works. Hubby gave me the long door draft pillow thing that you put in front of your door to keep cold air out. I have it hanging around my neck (okay, I really look like a dork!) but it helps resting my head on something so I can rest. I took a nap....well, slept for 3 hours!! It really helped so it's my new scarf. LOL

Also...anyone use a heating pad or an ice pack? Just wondering what would be better to use with the burning over the shoulder blades.

Thanks for the reply's. What a great support system!!

• Heat may help your muscle spasms in your shoulders that may be from the positioning your were placed in during your surgery. Hope you had a restful night and have the pain under control! Happy healing! ~Shari
  • I was going to offer our door stop, "draft thingy" but just assumed you wouldn't want it with the 3 inches of dog hair attached.

I'll save the cheese until you are ready to celebrate than!

Seriously, glad you found something that works. What a creative bunch we are!

I usually prefer ice but from what I read around here, it seems most prefer heat. I've heard they say, (who is 'they' anyway?) that it is great therapy to alternate between the two.

The truth of the matter is as long as there is no inflamation it is a matter of preference. If there is inflamation than ice first to bring down the inflamation.

Feel Better!
  • You do wonder who "they" is don't you!I am a lumbar spiney,but the heating pad is my best friend.No ice,I just can't stand it.But it is true "they"say to alternate.I agree,we are a creative bunch.I love the image of wearing the "draft puppy" around your neck!!!
  • Tina,

I had a similar fusion to yours twice, second time around I had it front and back, so I can really relate to trying to get comfy.

The first time I only wore a soft collar; second time a hard one.

I absolutely could not get comfortable enough to go to sleep and it was hard to get up from a completely flat position.... so I used what I think is called a bed rest pillow upside down. It's one of those pillows that has little "arms" on either side that you put behind you to read in bed. Well, when you put it upside down, it creates a wedge and at the top of the wedge it was a little flat area that cradled my neck perfectly.

I hope I'm explaining it correctly. Here's a link to a pic of one. They are called bed rest pillows I think...

Anyway, just wanted to share this idea. I hope you can find some relief!