Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bulging disc,...c-spine...numb left arm

khopkkhop Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello...my husband has severe pain in his neck and shoulder down to left arm and hand....he has been told he has bulging disc (3) but I forget exactly where...I believe it's C.2,3,and 4....his thumb will actually "draw up" and bend in toward his hand automatically...it just happens and his arm and hand are tingling but hurting. He was in a wreck over 20 years ago (went through a windshield head first)...the ortho doc we saw asked if he used to play college football because the MRI of his neck looks like he played a lot of football (which he did not). Does anyone else have this problem? Also need good ortho doc for my mom....I believe she needs disc replacement in the same areas...she has no disc...just bone on bone and is in terrible pain!!! Need a doc close to Memphis/Nashville area and someone who won't refuse to take Medicare (don't get me on that)!!! thanks so much

• HI

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and be sure to check out the video's. You may find special interest in the cervical radiculopathy video and also cervical stenosis that will give you some information as to what you are looking for. I have sent you a pm as we don't use doctors names in our main forums. You may also want to check the list of doctors here as well. To be considered here there credentials have been verified.

Anyway just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Take care.
  • Have you spoken to the orthopedist about the hand problem? That sounds more like carpal tunnel or trigger finger. Both of those are caused by nerve problems in the forearm and wrist.

What did the doctor say when they diagnosed the disc problem? Was that recently?

You can find names of doctors on this site. That is the best way. I would be careful getting the name of a doctor from another member just because you can't be sure who they are and everyones experience is different.
  • Hello,

I can you give you my experience in a similar situation.

I had pain in similar areas and mostly on one side. Ultimately I had surgery to relieve the pain which required 2 discs to be removed in my neck, c-5/6 and c-6/7 and then fusion. Still recovering but better than I was.

As far as your husband goes. Check for Dr's in your area that are either top rated Ortho or Neurosurgeons. I saw several Docs during my trouble and even was turned down by the first Neuro who said nothing could be done. The second opinion Neuro felt it was very operable and took the case.

Now, it was also mentioned that his hand pain could be carpal tunnel. Maybe. I'm not a Doc, but in my case, I had developed similar symptoms 3+ years ago and had the EMG test, (electrical test), to determine if I had carpal Tunnel. The test said I did, so after a year of therapy and pain, I had both hands operated on. No relief.

In my case, I never had Carpal Tunnel. My 2 Neurosurgeons agreed that all of it was from the slowly deteriating discs in my neck. But I had no neck pain until the discs herniated.

Now, that is a lot to absorb, but you can learn some things on your own. There is a map of the nervous system that indicates which nerve controls what part of your body. I found one thru a google search. I think it is called a Dermatome map. This shows which nerve is associated with what part of the arm/hand.

Good luck.