Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The POWER of POSITIVE Thinking

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Matters of the Heart
Thess are some passages from a site:
Success Consciousness - Awakening the wisdom and power within you.

I try to follow these words and thought process as often as I can. Putting my mind into viewing life every day like this has been one of my most successful strengths. Each and everyon eone of us can do the exact same thing.

The Power of Positive Thinking by Remez Sassoni

Positive thinking is a mental attitude that admits into the mind thoughts, words and images that are conductive to growth, expansion and success. It is a mental attitude that expects good and favorable results. A positive mind anticipates happiness, joy, health and a successful outcome of every situation and action. Whatever the mind expects, it finds.

Not everyone accepts or believes in positive thinking. Some consider the subject as just nonsense, and others scoff at people who believe and accept it. Among the people who accept it, not many know how to use it effectively to get results. Yet, it seems that many are becoming attracted to this subject, as evidenced by the many books, lectures and courses about it. This is a subject that is gaining popularity.

It is quite common to hear people say: "Think positive!", to someone who feels down and worried. Most people do not take these words seriously, as they do not know what they really mean, or do not consider them as useful and effective. How many people do you know, who stop to think what the power of positive thinking means?
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    She is very serious about the thought process behind it. I also believe in it. But controlling it is a different story. It seems to come strong some days and others, I just can't find it. My sister is much more "centered" than I am. But like you, she reads and practices it in a daily routine.
    Before my first fusion failed, I was a very positive person. By the time my second one failed. It became very hard for me to be positive, though I still try. And I can't be around people who are negative all of the time.
    I can tell you this, when I think positive, it makes for a very good day!
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • The mind is a very powerful piece of the puzzle when it comes to life and a life with chronic pain. It's a shame to let it go to waste, especially when combined with the heart, it can create miracles of its own.

The Little Engine That Could, did and did so magnificently.

A positive attitude is contagious ... catch it!

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    while so many things are negative is not always easy. To me, its like an art. You need to practice it over and over until you can master it.

It is totally amazing as to what our mind can do.

The thing is that our minds are so powerful, it can set up a very NEGATIVE environment or a very POSITIVE environment.

Its up to us to work on going over to the positive side.
    And yes, it is so helpful to be surrounded with people that are positive.

Put yourself in a room of 10 people, all suffering from some problem. If 8 out of those 10 people look at the dark side, that things wont get better, chances are they wont get any better.

Take that same situation but this time 8 out of the 10 people look at the bright side, chances are you will also look at the positive and things can get better.
  • Replacing some of the negative scripts we have in our mind with positive ones are very beneficial. It does take practice and it helps to be around positive thinkers. I really like when John says It's what you can do that you should think of rather then what you can't do or no longer can do can really help. I did have a link on my profile but lost it in my signature but a search for 'positive affirmations' can lead you to the website if you're interested. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Dilauro,
    Being positive is one thing, staying positive another, I have been blessed with a positive outlook for most things even when they are inherently negative, it is not something that just happens and you have too work at it. A positive mode keeps those negative aspects out and stops the development of a differing lifestyle, I agree with Howie, that staying in the company of positive individuals does rub off although as said we have to find that trait within ourselves. Any one of my eventful situations would have been sufficient to question my own level and it has not been achieved without some angst or balance of the unfairness of it all.

It has been suggested that it takes equal effort to be negative than positive and the emphasis her is to be realistically positive, it is in setting realistic attainable reasonable goals that we will find the most success and those here who have some skill in being positive will perform more effectively, staying positive need constant attention to doing the more beneficial thing and if we can change our attitude our behaviour will follow

Negative things are positive things when viewed by another individual they are not inherently negative and we need to move from that notion of what if or yeah but options. Even for me I have been to the dark side and promised never to return, positive is empowerment, pain mandates that we look to others for our success and at time they fall short, negative disclosure should have a time limit, getting it out if far better than keeping it in, it should not become our lifestyle of what Sternbach called “our career” .

Positive skills are within us all, it just needs to be teased out, small beginnings and practice enable us to view the same events differently from an alternative perspective, if we can survive pain every day and many here do, we have already exceeded the necessary skills require to develop a more positive attitude and behaviour. Positive is using the right words as negative is in using less appropriate one’s, a poster on another site is constantly negative about all aspect and that has become the issue rather then the underlying health problem, I know the tone of every post before having read it, it has become a syndrome in itself.

Will being positive change my situation, it will assist you in not becoming more depressed than need be, which has to be worth embracing, Dilauro is correct in his assumption that some still deem a positive outlook as something fanciful or of no practical usage, it has for me to be able to allow me to do something more.

WE here are developing modes of best practice and a positive outlook is a mandatory tool in managing our pain through a simultaneous multi disciplinary approach, someone said pain was 10% of the life they had, it was a good starting point.

Roet wrote a book called, All in the mind, well worth a look.

Take care. John
  • is that with all the negativity I have encountered lately, thank God I am a firm believer in being positive. Part of this way of thinking is finding solutions.

Best to all,

• I think this is a very good topic. I think far to many go into a self full filling prophecy mode. You think therefore you are. But it is in those very things you think that drive your life. After the loss of my mother I had some very negative thoughts(not suicidal), just seemed negative things were consuming me. I need to find my direction once again. I am a firm believer in motivational tapes and books. Once again someone pointed me to a very good book. Now I couldn't be the character in the book but I could grasp some of the strategies and apply them to my own life. I tend to do well in goal oriented and results oriented things in life. So when things go hair wire I need to find the solution fix it and move on. Staying in the world of negative to long Just doesn't work well. Now when I am negative I look inward at myself as it is me that needs to change. There maybe others around me who I feel are being negative dragging me down, but the power is only in me to change the situation.

I had a conversation with my pm doc once and said I wouldn't want to be a doctor or your job for all the money there is. If you think about it the only time someone goes to the doctor is when something is wrong. But then again they do fix ya up, just a matter of wether they get so see the results, I guess.

Even though snow is coming today, spring is on the horizon. The boys of summer are back in training, so it won't be long now.
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    It takes more muscles (therefore energy) to frown and cry, as opposed to smiling and laughing .... therefore I attempt to excersise the options that requires the least effort .... Smile and laugh through the situation!!

Tiger Woods in his little "come clean" news show last week actually said something that hit home ...

"It's not what you achieve in life - but what you overcome".

Gee I never thought I'd be quoting him about anything but it is similar to another little saying I have known for years ....

The true measure of a man (or woman) is how the deal in the face of adversity. unk.

Sunshine lollopops and rainbows everywhere!!

It's always a sunny day at 80,000 feet .... we just need to get our heads above the clouds!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• Whole-heartedly that positive thinking is so vital not just in the face of adversity, but in everyday life. A few on here are aware of the icky situation I was in before and during my surgery and recovery. And with everything I've been through over the hears I have to say it was the hardest thing I have gone through in my entire life. Before surgery the combination of the medications I was on, the horrible home life, and my pain, I had many suicidal thoughts. I can't even tell you how many nights I cried myself to sleep-which almost never happened prior to that-and too many times I looked at that full bottle of oxcontin on the counter thinking it would be n easy end to it all. And with no one in my life to be supportive, or offer anything positive, sometimes I wonder how I made it. But it was my picture of what recovery and general life would be like after surgery-it was my light at the end of the tunnel.

My time in the hospital was pretty awful even though I was recovering well, because it's just plain hard to focus on recovery when someone you love is being emotionally abusive at a time like that. And well that continued basically all through my recovery until I was able to be fully self sufficient and get myself out of that environment.

I attribute most of my great recovery to the fact that I kept pushing all of the negative as far away as I could and just hold on to any little positive thought or feeling I had and make that my focus. When I got into the shower the day after being released from the hospital and was able to do everything myself, including shave my legs...I was ecstatic! And every little thing like that became a milestone. And I really do think it's not only what got me through the bad situation I was in, but what helped get me where I am today.

Many times I'm not sure exactly what to say to some of the folks on here who are suffering and scared, so I offer the only advice I really know helped me...stay positive.

Great topic Ron.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    A good post Ron.....

As you see from my signature I have always been disabled, as a child I had to 'sit out' on sports etc. At 15yrs I loved going ice skating even though I put on my boots and hung on the side of the rink LOL. One day my friend said the Ice rink were organising a 20 mile walk, she wanted to take part and would I come with her. I was eager not to miss out so without even considering 'HOW?' I said yes. We told the a gym teacher at school and she said she would help us train after school hours at the local running track.
    The big day came, it was a round trip from the ice rink to the countryside and back, we left at 10am and made it back around 10pm, with blistered feet, and very tired, but we did it! we had a free session ticket to prove it, Hooray. The teacher said to me, well done! I can tell you now, I really didn't think you would manage it. I said why not?

Over the years many people have said to me, do you ever ask why you? I hate that question, my answer has always been.....why not me!

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • However, over the past 6 years I have found it difficult.
    It seems you just get over one hurdle return to a positive attitude and you get hit with something else.
    This has been a pattern for some time.
    So...how to you remain positive when you keep getting hammered with new health problems?
    Perhaps it is in the thinking??
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,837
    separates those that think positive from those that are positive.

When life is simple and without problems, then anyone can be positive

Its when things are hard, that really distinguish those that are truthfully positivfe
  • I have a book with the same title by Norman Vincent Peale, perhaps I should read it again.
    Good thread Ron, thanks
    Gets you thinking.
  • The Power of Positive Thinking! Indeed an incredible concept. Of course one just has to take a look at all the tools available out there. “A Course in Miracles,” “The Secret.” Oh, I won’t go on. It is so much easier said than done. Yes, it takes great practice to even begin to understand it. There, 2 statements that prove I have not quite grasped the concept yet. I will.

In Matthew 9 and other places, Jesus tells us, “According to your faith, be it unto you.” And elsewhere, “if thou canst believe, all things are possible.” Oh yes, in Mark 11:24, “Whosoever shall say unto this mountain, be thou removed and be thou cast into the sea and shall not doubt in his heart, he shall have whatsoever he saith.” Of course I believe Jesus was talking about obstacles, not mountains. But you get my point. This is not a new concept. Uh oh, I’m carrying on again.

There is a difference between "staying positive" and the POWER of positive thinking. As many of you have said, like attracts like. You are what you think. And so I have begun my journey to train my mind. The mind is a very powerful thing.
    The mind does not know the difference between what is imagined and what is real.

One of the things I've had to give up is the word Try. My mind often will accept the word "Try" as an opportunity to fail. When you say you will "try" something, you allow yourself the possibility it may not succeed. Instead say "I Will"

Ask someone (who hasn't read this) to hold both their arms out to their sides, shoulder height. Then say to them, “I’m going to push down, TRY not to let me.” Then push down. 9 out of 10 won't be able to hold you off. Then have them put their arms out again and ask them again. Only this time don't use the word try. Just look them in the eye and tell them, "I’m pushing down DO NOT let me." They will be able to hold you off. You see the first time you said "try" you gave their mind an opportunity to fail. The second, you did not.

And so I tell you, "Stop trying to do it and just do it."

THOSE who say it CAN'T be DONE....should not INTERRUPT those of US who are DOING it!!!"

• there is a life lesson to learn that we are just haven't grasped yet. Until we figure out that lesson we'll keep getting hammered.
    we are never given more than we can deal with and what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    I forget that philosphy sometimes though.
  • Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, YOU'RE RIGHT! - Henry Ford