Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any suggestions for pain when I am laying down flat on my back?

wholeinone04wwholeinone04 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hello all,

Recently, I have started feeling a mild lower back pain whenever I lay down flat on my back, probably about a 6-7 on a scale to 10. I have always had a similar pain whenever I stand for too long (over 3-4 hours), but when I laid down for a while it would go away.

However, my current pain only happens when I lay down. I'm really not sure what to do to help this. I have tried stretching, icing, applying heat, etc... but nothing has helped.

• The best thing to do, is to visit your doc for an examination. There are so many different things that could be causing your pain, and many different ways to combat it.

Have you tried sleeping on your side with a pillow between your knees and one in front of you? Have you tried ice packs or heat packs? What about an anti-inflammatory, have you tried a 2 week course of one of those?

I would recommend going to see your doc for a hands on evaluation. Find out what is wrong and then work to make it right.

• I agree with C you need to see your Dr. to get an exam. But if you're a back sleeper put your legs on a pillow or two. Keep us posted what the Dr says. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,849
    edited 04/11/2013 - 6:54 AM

For a Spine-Health Site introduction, Click on :

Welcome To Spine-Health

If you have any questions, feel free to contact (PM) any one of the Moderators here Priestess , Jeauxbert, Bruce , Paulgla, DiLauro
    You can also contact anyone of the members from the Authority team: Neck of Steel, Haglandc , Cath111, Tamtam

The Spine-Health Web site offers so much more than these Member Forums.
    Check the various tabs at the top of the Spine-Health page and you will find so much that is offered here.

Please remember that all information you receive from members on this forum is NOT
    formal medical advise. You should always consult with your doctors.

To get back to the Forums, you can always click on Forum Home

Please feel free to contact me at rdilauro@gmail.com or send me a message

When you have lower back and when you experience more pain while laying flat, many times the only way to relieve some of that pain is to:

1 - While laying down, bend your knees
    2 - Put a pillow under yor knees
    3 - Instead of lying flat on your back, lie on your sides.

One check that you can do to determine thaloweber back problem is while laying flat, check your feet. If you feet are straight you probably do not have some nerve problems.
    If , however your feet are not straight and they turned outwards,you can be pretty sure that you have some nerve dmamage to go along with your back problems
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Your problem is all too familiar to just about everyone.I have the same problem and several different positions that my PT taught me to take pressure off the area that happens to be bothering me.That changes sometimes daily ,so I have to have several options.Since all of our conditions are unique,finding your own comfort is highly individual.Ask a professional to show you ,then you will have to experiment to find what works.Sometimes,for me,nothing does and I just have to be still and take it all in.Not easy.Keep asking-it helps.
  • you could also lay on your side with a pillow in between your knees {memory foam is good}
This discussion has been closed.