Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I thought i was past this insomnia thing

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Because I got 6, 7, 7,hrs. of sleep 3 days in a row. And that's still not enough for me! But last night I went to bed at 11:30 was up at 1:30 took some meds went on line for 1 hour for meds to kick in and went back to bed at 2:30 was back up at 4:30 I had been having bad dreams in vivid color that made no sense. And just gave it up. And got up. When I took meds at 1:30, I took the methadone and a Oxycodone HCL 15 mg. for break though pain that I rarely take because I'm very leery of that stuff. with all of the problems with prescription meds. It seems like that drug is the one I hear the most about people abusing. And it wasn't part of my regular med. regiment for the chronic pain. It was added for pain from the surgery and the infection pain. And I've not taken it very many times. It's still almost full.
It didn't cause the initial insomnia. But I wonder if it had something to do with the vivid bad dreams? Ive also cut back on all of my meds about 30% in a very short time. I haven't been sick with any kind of withdrawal symptoms. So I didn't think that was an issue.
I really need to get back to my 8 hrs. sleep pattern!
Jim :? :W
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• Jim Oxy anything gives me the spins when I start taking it. It is almost like withdrawal when I start. I also find it is more problem than help if I take it when I really don't need something that strong.

Just after surgery I came off the percocet. I made the mistake of thinking I could take it just at night to help me sleep. Instead it left me with horrible headaches, spins and restless nights.

I still swear by these Tylonol PMs. Two of those and I can get 7-8 hours. Now if I could just find 7-8 hrs a night to sleep during the week!!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    I can't take tylenol. But I don't think I can take the oxycodone either.
    And I can't figure out why I had insomnia in the first place.
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Hi,

With my first surgery, I had similar issues.
    I was only on percaset 5/325 and valium.
    But seldom took percaset.

Later in recovery I couldn't sleep. I think I hurt and was so stiff that every time I went to turn it ached, every time I stayed in one spot it hurt and I found myself up many nights.

I thought taking percaset would help me sleep. It worked for a little bit but then I found it was too much. Made me dizzy and while I slept solid for 3 maybe 4 hours, I woke up in sweats and less rested than without it.

I stopped again. I did have tylenol with codeine that seemed to be a better option but only used that every 3-4 days b/c again, was afraid it was still too much.

I'm 2 weeks out of my recent surgery and since the surgery have only taken 1 percaset nightly. I found that when I wake up, I take tyelonol (not the PM kinds) b/c it reduced stiffness without the 'extra' narcotic medication and I'm able to rest comfortably.

I also have found that I am only sleeping 6 hours a night which is fine but that I need to nap during the day. I don't know if this is an option for you but if it is, you can still get all your sleep but split up into 5-6 hours/night + 2 hour nap (day).

If not, tylenol PM might be an option to try.
  • I also am not sleeping very well. When I wake up usually at 3 a.m., I am so stiff that I have to get up. Then I find I am napping during the day, probably from the drugs and not sleeping at night.
    I also am having very vivid dreams at night. I am going to check all my meds, and see if one of them causes that. cant wait to get off meds. that was one of the main reasons I decided to have the surgery!
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    For me benedryl helps (usually, at least enough to get me drowsy). I also use, with my doctor's permission, MidNite or just plain melatonin.

However in the first 6 weeks after any surgery I fully expect to have bizarre sleep cycles. I do have generic ambien. I have it around for whenever I have really bad sleep cycles (even when I was working). But I will only use it one night a week at the most and have not taken it yet since surgery as my PM doc wants me to wait until I've tapered off as much of the acute pain meds as I can first.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos