Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

help!!chronic back pain with sciatica

mandy_stimpsonmmandy_stimpson Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:41 AM in Chronic Pain
hello im 37, live in essex england, and have been suffering for many years with L4 L5 problems, i write this whilst in bed and have been for 4 days now! i have a constant sciatica pain into right buttock, down into thigh then calf and to ankle, each time i get up to go to the bathroom i dont know if im gonna pass out again! ive had to give up my job as a community carer which i loved and now have to get help from my daughters to even get dressed. my husband is fantastic and now quite often has to pick me up and place me on the bed after passing out. im on tramadol, methacarbanol, amitriptline.. nothing seems to be working, im feeling ignored by my doctors and consultants, my next appointment is in march but not sure if i can wait that long.if anybody has any advise im open to anything.. in 2005 i had a procedure where part of my nerves were burnt out but this only worked for a short period.. thank u for listening to my moaning.

• I do know the pain you are going threw. I to have nerves damage. Plus a few other problems. The only hope for me now is Spinal cord stimulation. It wont fix the problem .But it might make living a bit more worth while. With a SCS and a great PM dr. It just might work. Its something you can look into.

hope you have a pain free life

• Hang in there Mama, things have a way of working out, just not fastenough sometimes. The nerve ablation doesnt go very far for the pain involved.
    please be brave in the rough stretchs and kind to yourself too
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• Mandy has the doctor done a MRI on you? I figured because you knew which disks. Those meds can be weak for back problems, I have had them before. Have you tried any nsaids like Voltaren, Mobic or Celebrex?

Take care
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    about you passing OUT.
    So many people have serious spinal problems, but yet they do not pass out
    To me, there is something else going on that is causing you to have these conditions
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • My masseuse was telling me recently that some people have the sciatic nerve actually inside a muscle, instead of alongside, leading to constant nerve irritation. Might be worth a look see.
    There is also the old chiropractic visit, which may be of use.
    Sciatic pain is dreadful.
  • Sorry you're having so much pain. I agree with Ron you need to be checked out why you're passing out. If the pain is really bad you need some pain medications to help you get through this and walk even using a walker from your bed to the washroom and so you can go on short walks. Try ice packs and heat though be careful putting heat or ice on an area of numbness. I had to return frequently to my Primary Dr to get something for the pain. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hiya >:D< I am so sorry you are feeling this way ~X( i am also from England. As for the doctors i know what you are going through :( do not give up , keep going back to the GP! Have you seen a consultant? have you had x-rays and an MRI scan? :? I can feel your pain as i have simular problems, it started in the right side and is now in the left side aswell :( I am also on a pain management plan through the hospital, and that is the best doctor i have ever seen, he put me on the correct meds, for the type of pain i get :? Keep me updated, and keep smiling >:D<

Angie :H
    i'm just wondering if you saw your dr yet. to be in such pain for so long is devastating. i hope the surgeon, if thats who youre seeing, has a solution for you.
    and did you mention the passing out. please let us know what the dr says.
    there are solutions to spine problems and you need to tell the doctor how desperate you are now for some relief! we are all here to help you so please keep us posted.

This discussion has been closed.